more power to front, less to rear?

Participant count
  • Participant list

elinett
10+ year member

Utah
hey sorry if this question is lamo but i am wondering...i have a JBL 4ch amp (gto 75.4) that puts 104watts rms to each ch. right now i have my pg xenon comps in front running off 2 of the ch and my pg tantrum x coaxes running off the other 2 ch in the rear. the xenons are rated at 150rms each and the tantrums are like 70 watts rms i think. just wondering if it would be wise to just dedicate all 4 ch to my comps in the front and have the extra power so more headroom. then run my pioneer deh8600 to power my coaxes in rear. if rear isn't that important, would you guys do it or not? why? thanks

thanks for the advice man. yeh i have worried about just having the front because i think they need quite a bit of sound deadening to get them solid enough midbass to decrease the rear fill. i guess i will have alot of work to do before fall semester starts next month! thanks

real quick, is it true that to get the best imaging and soundstage etc, if you have rear spkrs they should be crossed over so they don't play much highs at all, just lows to add depth. so if this is the case, is like 100 or 125 ish a good point for rears and like 80 ish in fronts?? thanks again

Well bass starts to become directional at 80hz and becomes fully directional around 200hz, so....Yes. That would be true, and can work. If you have the means to mess around with a crossover network, by all means do it.

Well bass starts to become directional at 80hz and becomes fully directional around 200hz, so that would be kind of accurate. Cheap passive crossovers would out if you HU doesn't have a crossover network. Crossing them over that low basically turns the rear fill into bass, so if you're going to cross them over that low, amp them.
oh darn, now im not sure what to do. so if i crossed them over at like 100, my hu (pioneer deh 8600) wouldnt be enough to power the low notes? what do you suggest for a good compromise to set the xover at?

Well, you said you have 4 channels at your disposal. Set your crossovers to where you like them, then amp all 4 speakers normally and fade / adjust gains to your liking. That's my recommendation.

ok, thats what i got now i just am deciding if the advantages of getting close to 300 watts to each speaker in front with tons of headroom, rather that 100 watts to each is worth giving up amplification to my rears. thanks for everything

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.