Moving/broken stuff inside my capacitor..

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello,
So i had to do some changes in my system and noticed that my capacitor has some stuff inside that is moving/broken when i shake it.
I have heard some stories about those capacitors that they are dangerous, but mine works really good and believe it or not it actually gives my sub more power and gives stable 14.4 power to my amp at any volume.
I have it for about 3 years and its still working good, but the things that i heard moving inside is i guess not good and i should replace it?

I don't think i can open it, didn't see any screws, i guess i need some how to open the top of it but i dont think i should because i surly will brake something..

What capacitor is it exactly? Is it something in the capacitor body itself rattling? Or does it have a voltmeter on top with something rattling in that section?
Either way, might be easier to just get a new one.

I do kind of wonder what is in there.

Aside from dissecting it, probably easiest to get a new one, or just keep using it if you feel you want to and don't care if it vents or catches fire, etc. (hard to say what it could do if it has a problem at all). If you replace it, could probably take the old volt meter off and save it for later use.

Taking a risk by opening it up. There is a reason why they are sealed. If you do not have experiences with them I wouldnt recommend exposing the internals. You could loose your eye sight, burn your skin ect. Id toss it /recycle it properly and just get a small XS battery in its place

I don't think i can open it, didn't see any screws, i guess i need some how to open the top of it but i dont think i should because i surly will brake something..
To clarify, I do not suggest to open the actual cylinder/s. I meant the voltmeter housing, which from experience, I know it can safely be taken off. Buuut, also from experience, the cylinders are exactly like the small capacitors. Rolled aluminum and paper sandwiching a paste or oily substance. They are solid inside; nothing to become loose and rattle in there. Like always, safety first. If you are not comfortable with it, dump it.

Ok i guess I will replace it, the reason im not using xs battery is because i dont know from where to get them in my country, so i just bought a cap..

I guess the stuff i hear inside is probably the black material whatever is it, makes sense it really sounds like that (like plenty of sand inside), so do I really need to replace it tho?
Id toss it/take it to a recycle place and get even a small AGM battery in its place

I guess the stuff i hear inside is probably the black material whatever is it, makes sense it really sounds like that (like plenty of sand inside), so do I really need to replace it tho?
Its your System, Your Vehicle and all the respect.. Your Decision

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...