My amp going into protect only second start.

Yeah, one at a time though haha, just askin cause I know the battery is bad, I drained it allot with my old sub.
HUH??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif

HUH??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif
Yeah it was my first sub, re sxx I played it when the car was off allot.

Could that make the amp go into protect?

gotta take the batt into a shop.

That's your pproblem. When you first start the car your battery voltage is low in the morning from sitting all high and if you have any accessories installed that will drain a little power through the night. Once you run your car for the first time the amp is getting the right voltage hence its working then you shut it off and start it again it goes into protect. Although your alternator putting out 16 volts it should shut the amp down after a little while of use but it the alternator is probably putting out that 16 volts at different times. Once running and the amp is getting 16 volts it will stay on. Each amp is different in its protection circuit when it should'nt. I have repaired many JL amps as my business was an authorized dealer for JL and repair. I have seen and fixed this problem before. I still have a small business repairing amps for a living as well as sell and installing car audio. I'm MECP certified plus I'm an electronics engineer and have designed 2 mono sub amps that sold very well. I am the cheapest amp repair in the USA and offer allot of services that no one else does. I also offer video conferencing to help people learn and show them how to test some components to basicly find out if a person has a power supply problem or shorted outputs. I also do the same by phone. I am currently in the middle of making a DVD to teach people to repair car amps. There are two sections, one is for the person who wants to jump right in before learning any basic and extend end electronics but on that I do teach a small amount of basic electronics cause it helps to understand easier but its and in laymen terms plus I cover the tools needed which for the jump right in part is basicly a volt meter and a type of power supply. The other section is an all out learning process and is designed very well for anyone to learn. There's allot of videos and pics and animations. Been working on this for 4 years. Also I put a list in of over 30 amp manufacturers and most if not all their amps that I list the most common problems that occur and what and how to repair that amp. I invite anyone who needs help to contact me. Just send me a message and I'll send you my info. As I said, I try to get a person who is having a problem to diagnose his or her amp first with my help before sending it out for repair to whatever business they choose. I am very good at what I do and get most of my online business through forums like this one. For instance, fixya.com, diycaraudio.com and many more as well as local advertising. Sorry this is so long but I'm letting people know I'm back open for business. I wasn't repairing for about 8 months. I had to take care of my mother who is still sick. Well thank you for reaching this if you did and I hope I will be able to assist anyone needing help. Have a great year to all.

That's your pproblem. When you first start the car your battery voltage is low in the morning from sitting all high and if you have any accessories installed that will drain a little power through the night. Once you run your car for the first time the amp is getting the right voltage hence its working then you shut it off and start it again it goes into protect. Although your alternator putting out 16 volts it should shut the amp down after a little while of use but it the alternator is probably putting out that 16 volts at different times. Once running and the amp is getting 16 volts it will stay on. Each amp is different in its protection circuit when it should'nt. I have repaired many JL amps as my business was an authorized dealer for JL and repair. I have seen and fixed this problem before. I still have a small business repairing amps for a living as well as sell and installing car audio. I'm MECP certified plus I'm an electronics engineer and have designed 2 mono sub amps that sold very well. I am the cheapest amp repair in the USA and offer allot of services that no one else does. I also offer video conferencing to help people learn and show them how to test some components to basicly find out if a person has a power supply problem or shorted outputs. I also do the same by phone. I am currently in the middle of making a DVD to teach people to repair car amps. There are two sections, one is for the person who wants to jump right in before learning any basic and extend end electronics but on that I do teach a small amount of basic electronics cause it helps to understand easier but its and in laymen terms plus I cover the tools needed which for the jump right in part is basicly a volt meter and a type of power supply. The other section is an all out learning process and is designed very well for anyone to learn. There's allot of videos and pics and animations. Been working on this for 4 years. Also I put a list in of over 30 amp manufacturers and most if not all their amps that I list the most common problems that occur and what and how to repair that amp. I invite anyone who needs help to contact me. Just send me a message and I'll send you my info. As I said, I try to get a person who is having a problem to diagnose his or her amp first with my help before sending it out for repair to whatever business they choose. I am very good at what I do and get most of my online business through forums like this one. For instance, fixya.com, diycaraudio.com and many more as well as local advertising. Sorry this is so long but I'm letting people know I'm back open for business. I wasn't repairing for about 8 months. I had to take care of my mother who is still sick. Well thank you for reaching this if you did and I hope I will be able to assist anyone needing help. Have a great year to all.
No the voltmeter was bad and it was not running at 16v, I swapped the battery with another good one and it did the same thing, is it the alt then?

it could be the amp has a short in it ... what you should do is run the car and see it holds a charge if the alternator is bad the car won't charge . kinda leading me to believe the amp has some sort of short . probably in the power rail

it could be the amp has a short in it ... what you should do is run the car and see it holds a charge if the alternator is bad the car won't charge . kinda leading me to believe the amp has some sort of short . probably in the power rail
Yeah it does seem like it's the amp, weird because It works after sitting for a day.

Disconnect the speakers, play some songs... see what it does.

If its always in protect, unplug rcas and speakers, then unplug rcas and connect the speakers

So turns out that the amp was broken lol, I get all store credit back from sonicelectronics.com

What should the next amp be? any suggestions?

Just a thought, open up your amp it had likely been overheated one too many times. Chances are you will see effects of the heat, like rubber warped or liquids on the acid board. Find and if capable, test ever resistor, cap, and chip on the board. You can get replacements off ebay easily and solder the new ones on. Also check to make sure your heat sink is secured properly, you may want to install/fabricate a larger heat sink or possibly different sized fins. Or maybe add a fan. A repair can be pretty simple and cheap with basic soldering know how. But mot always guaranteed it will fix the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.