My friend gave me a JL 10w6 Version 1. Is this sub any good?

joelx21
10+ year member

So Cal
As the title says... my friend gave me a JL 10W6. He's had it laying around for about 2 years and thought that I would put it to better use.

I was about to purchase an Alpine Type R 10" with 500RMS when my friend offered to give me this sub. I'm very new to the car audio world, but I did a lot of research on the Type R subs. (this website helped tremendously) However, I don't know much about JL subs. I know that JL makes amazing subs that even surpass Alpine subs... but they are just too expensive for me to even consider.

Here are the specs on the older 10w6

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf

Here are pics of the subs

10w6Pic1.jpg

10w6Pic3.jpg

10w6Pic2.jpg

I'm planning on using the 10" in an MTX fiber glass stealthbox with .6 cubic feet.

The 10w6 requires .625 cubic feet

The Type R requires .6 cubic feet

I love music, and I want a nice loud/bump from my sub, but I don't want my internal organs to rumble when I'm playing music lol The Type R is very cheap ($120 shipped) considering the performance that you get.

Considering $ and performance.... what would you guys do? Install the older 10w6 or buy the Type r?

Thanks,

Joel

Last edited by a moderator:
its free, so just use it until you either save up or get tired of it and want more. Its an expensive hobby where you always want more or want to change it in the never ending pursuit of being Perfectly happy. i went from a W1v2, to a L7 to a W6 and still not satisfied to stop but i have paused for a while finally lol. it kinda sux actually as much as it is fun. Use that sub for what its worth and save up for a high end system so hopefully you wont waste too much money in the long run with incremental upgrades like i did.

its a very good sub but a small sub in a sealed box might not give you the amount of bass you are looking for even the type r wont do it. if its possible for you to use more room using a ported box will help you, a ported box is where the type r will shine

I added pictures of the sub to the top post.

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised to hear that up to this point, everybody would go with the 10w6 version 1.

As far as upgrading, I'm pretty sure that once I get a nice loud sound, it will be enough for me. But, of course, you never know lol

As far as the box, it would be very nice to have other options, however, I have to use the stealthbox as it was made for the camaro and it won't interfere with the T-top holder.

Use the w6 very nice subs and they dont require a ton of power. Of course im biased, I own 4 12w6's and 3 15w6 v1's lol. They really shine in a small sealed box and Im sure you will be happy with the output.

I added pictures of the sub to the top post.
I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised to hear that up to this point, everybody would go with the 10w6 version 1.

As far as upgrading, I'm pretty sure that once I get a nice loud sound, it will be enough for me. But, of course, you never know lol

As far as the box, it would be very nice to have other options, however, I have to use the stealthbox as it was made for the camaro and it won't interfere with the T-top holder.
The major difference here is the box that you have. Type R's dont do well in sealed boxes. They really shine in ported boxes tuned low.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.