My Thoughts on the RD Audio Alpha 12"

JimJ
5,000+ posts

Tangled Up in Blue
Auditioning the RD Audio Alpha 12"

=========================

Recently I was given the chance to demo the RD Audio Alpha 12" subwoofer in identical conditions to what took place at the Great 12 Challenge back in October. My thanks goes to Chad Hicks for letting me listen to it. The same vehicle ('94 Ford E-150) was used, as well as the same amplifier (PG Tantrum 1200.1). For this review, I used a 1.7cF sealed enclosure.

Test material included the following:

Harry Gregson-Williams - The Chronicles of Narnia OST, track #12, "The Battle"

Diana Krall - Temptation

Chesky Ultimate Demo Disc - Vivaldi, Flute Concerto in D

Gorillaz - Dirty Harry

Carl Orff - O Fortuna

The Doors - Back Door Man

London Chamber Orchestra - Reflections of Earth, EPCOT soundtrack

Allison Krauss & Union Station - Lucky One

Livingston Taylor - Grandma's Hands

The Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane

Chris Isaak - Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness

Eva Cassidy - Wayfaring Stranger

--------

Details:

--------

The build quality impressed me at first, it seems a very well put-together driver. Standard push terminals were used, and wiring the dual 4 ohm coils in parallel wasn't a problem. I pointed the subwoofer toward the rear doors, and started listening - first up was "Reflections of Earth", one of my favorite tracks for evaluating what a driver can do with lots of demanding transients. The Alpha kept up with the kettle drums very well, and didn't balk at complex passages that other drivers simply gave up on. On Narnia, starting at :36 into the piece there's a very deep drum strike that isn't always reproduced well - with the Alpha I got a sense of the depth of the note, without sounding overbearing or unnatural. It wasn't perfect, but it definitely was doing more things right than wrong.

On small jazz arrangements, the Alpha did a fine job as well - Diana Krall's beautiful piece "Temptation" is one I like, as it has a gorgeous upright bass line that some subs either bloat or skip over altogether. The Alpha did neither of these. On Eva Cassidy's haunting "Wayfaring Stranger", it sounded controlled, but I thought the timbre of the instrument was slightly off. If this analogy makes any sense, it sounded like a very good recording of an upright bass, not the bass itself.

It handled bass guitar fine, with "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" having the gritty and edgy tone it's supposed to have without sounding bottom-heavy.

It passed the "Grandma's Hands" foot-tapping test, but once again, it sounded like...a recording of someone tapping their shoe on a hardwood floor. On some of the higher-end drivers I've heard, it sounds like the real thing.

Overall...I was pleasantly suprised. I hadn't sat down with an SJA-built driver before and seriously listened to it, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect - but this woofer compares very favorably to other mid-level subs. It's no Rainbow Vanadium or SI Mag, but I could live with the musicality of this driver. It'd be a good compromise for someone who couldn't quite afford the upper tier, yet still have a sub that wouldn't shy away from demanding material.

~ Jim

rdbb8.jpg

interesting. Nice it got your approval in the sq... but what about spl?

but this woofer compares very favorably to other mid-level subs. It's no Rainbow Vanadium or SI Mag, but I could live with the musicality of this driver. It'd be a good compromise for someone who couldn't quite afford the upper tier, yet still have a sub that wouldn't shy away from demanding material.
THe only problem is that it has the price of an SI mag or used Vanadium. It's price on low-hz.com is $450. unless you can get them some where else i dont know about...

... but what about spl?
Doesn't interest me, I leave the loud farting for other people //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's price on low-hz.com is $450. unless you can get them some where else i dont know about...
That's also MSRP, I don't know what people are actually getting them for...I didn't want to make any judgements about the relative value of the woofer until I knew what they were really selling for. But based on what I've heard, it compares closely to some of the $200-$250 subwoofers I've tested.

Doesn't interest me, I leave the loud farting for other people //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That's also MSRP, I don't know what people are actually getting them for...I didn't want to make any judgements about the relative value of the woofer until I knew what they were really selling for. But based on what I've heard, it compares closely to some of the $200-$250 subwoofers I've tested.

FI Q ish 250? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Makes sense that low-hz.com is posting MSRP prices since you cant really get them yet for the most part. Wonder how low they will actually sell for.

Ouch. I was thinking the same thing as Dozy_production. Your review made it sound pretty good, but a $200 sub? Even if 450 is just the MSRP I don't see it coming down to match that.

Ouch. I was thinking the same thing as Dozy_production. Your review made it sound pretty good, but a $200 sub? Even if 450 is just the MSRP I don't see it coming down to match that.
X2. The price's gotta match the performance.

I like my alpha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Its about to end up in my corvette for a SQ setup for next season.

This is the v1 Alpha correct?

I believe the v1 Alpha isn't in production anymore and it was replaced with the v2. A few are sprinkling in throughout the forums in the used section and i have one for sale right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

MSRP is $469 for the 12" v2 Alpha. But of course it is available for a cheaper price if you contact a dealer.

Some of the Dealers might be able to get ahold of some of the v1's but i'm not certain.

Very In-depth post! I owned the v1 alpha and i really liked the SQ on the driver, however i went a different route and took it up a notch and ordered the Heavyweight v2's.

Yeah chad sent him a V1.... just like mine. But yeah, the HW's and the SHW's are the way to go if you're going to just constantly beat your **** madly or compete with them. plus recones are cheap too, so its an all around good deal. Only thing I dont like about RD is the shipping times on them, they're going to have to improve that.

I like mine I don't think it's worth the 450 I paid for it but its a great sub none the less if you can find a used one for cheap snatch it up if not just look for a mag you'll be so much happier lol for the price...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.