Need a basic slot ported box design for one RE Audio SE 12

Participant count
  • Participant list

johnwohl
10+ year member

I've never designed a ported box before and torres is giving me fits.

I've looked at some of the free box designs and put the dimensions into torres and they never match, tuning wise, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe one of you experts can whip something up for me. Design and cut list would be super helpful. Willing to send a few bucks your way if the box works out well.

I just need a basic slot ported box for 1 12 inch sub, no 45's or anything, just 90 degree cuts.

Car is a 1986 Cadillac Cimarron (Chevy Cavalier clone). Go ahead and laugh.

Max dimensions are L-27" W-35" H-15" (that's my entire trunk). I would much rather have it wide and tall than deep, as I would like to keep some trunk space.

Specs of sub since I had a heck of a time finding them:

RE Audio 12 SE

Mounting Depth - 6.5"

Mounting Hole Diameter - 11"

Overall Diameter - 12.5"

Bolt Hole Circle - 11.75"

Motor Width - 6.25"

Motor Depth - 3.25"

Basket Depth - 3.25"

Displacement - 0.15 cu. ft.

Weight - 21 lbs.

Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.49

Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 4.5

Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.44

Free Air Resonance -Fs: 25.1 Hz

Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 72.9 liters

One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 18 mm

Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 86.1 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area -Sd: 480 cm^2

DC Resistance -Re: 2.8 ohm

Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 2/4 ohm

Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 600 W

Force Factor -Bl: 17.7

Will be fed ~600-700w @ 2 ohms from a Planet Audio bb1250.1

Most of the time I listen to metalcore (fast drums, breakdowns with big sub-bass drops), edm (dubstep and the like, hits low, melodic basslines), and occasionally hip hop (rap bass).

I guess my perfect setup would have tight, clean drums, hit hard in the chest on the sub-bass drops, and not run the bass notes together sloppily in my dubstep. If at all possible, I'd like to be able to blat out some rap bass too.. you know.. for the ladies..

I was told a 2.0cuft box tuned to 33hz would be ideal, but I really have no idea. As far as I know, playing below the tuning frequency is a no-no, and I have a feeling a lot of the stuff I listen to goes below 33hz.

Any other info needed? Let me know.

Very much appreciated.

RE audio used to at leaast have a pretty decent box calculator on there site. Its alot easier to pick up than torres although the results between the two applications will vary due to torres allowing for bracing and sub displacements along with extra baffles and port direction but should work for you since using RE sub

If not sure a sealed enclosure is the safe bet plus gives a flatter frequency response your amp may have subsonic filter to cut out lower frequencies

I had the sub in a sealed box before, and it was certainly ok, but a lot of the old threads on this sub that I have read say it really shines in a ported enclosure. Besides, wouldn't I need a bunch more power for something like a 2cuft sealed box?

My amp's subsonic filter goes down to 15hz.

I don't know how accurate it is, but the frequency response for a 2.0cuft sealed enclosure is nothing like flat, and doesn't go deep at all (from 0db at 150hz to -3db at 40hz, then a steeper roll off to -10db at 22hz). WinISD tells me that a 3cuft box tuned to 24hz will give me a pretty flat response down to 30hz and -3db at 24hz then a steep roll off, which sounds a lot better to me. Torres says that box should be 35Widex15Highx16Deep with a 2inX36in slot port. Would that work? I'm no expert at this stuff, I'm just going by what little knowledge I have and what I see on this here WinISD graph, so anyone, feel free to correct me!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.