Need help! Amp is running super hot!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Girr68

Hi guys let me start off by saying this is my first post i'm 100% new. I'm new to car audio and i can almost guarantee i'm doing something wrong.

I have a 15" Hifonics Brutus 650w rms and 1200w peak 2 ohms sub in a sealed box in the trunk of my sunfire, it's powered (bridged) by a cheap Sony Xplod 1000w amp which has 2 30A fuses in it.

I'm running this all on a Scosche 1200w wiring kit, Either 6gage or 8gage i can't remember exactly.

When i play music past 30 volume (headunit goes to 46 max) My amp starts to get really really hot, i'm talking after a good 10 / 15 mins of use it will burn you. WHY????

My fuses are all good, my wiring is enough Watts to power the sub also. Is it the amp? or possibly another problem? People told me ground may be an issue, my ground is secured. I do however have a Brand X capacitor that i AM NOT running and when the bass hits hard it does dim my lights, i was planning on hooking it up this weekend... Could this be part of my problem?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated because i do not want anything to happen to my sub, but i can't stand not being able to really use the full potential of my sub without worrying about lighting on fire Lol.

Here are the exact specs on the sub.

600w Rms 1200w Peak

Impedance = 4 + 4 ohms

Thats what it says on the box.

The amp is just a 1000w peak sony xplod

Speaker Impedance: 2-8 Ohm stereo

I had a buddy hook it up who has done some systems before but is by far not a super professional. He hooked up my last system which was 2 12" 1000w alpine type-Rs with a fosegate p1000 1000w amp and it slammed and didn't even dim my lights and that amp never got hot even from blasting 46 volume for an hour.

The

Here are the exact specs on the sub.600w Rms 1200w Peak

Impedance = 4 + 4 ohms

Thats what it says on the box.

The amp is just a 1000w peak sony xplod

Speaker Impedance: 2-8 Ohm stereo

I had a buddy hook it up who has done some systems before but is by far not a super professional. He hooked up my last system which was 2 12" 1000w alpine type-Rs with a fosegate p1000 1000w amp and it slammed and didn't even dim my lights and that amp never got hot even from blasting 46 volume for an hour.
There's your problem. The amp can't take the 2 ohm load bridged. You need a mono block amp

I don't kno what a big 3 kit is.
It is a wiring upgrade for under the hood. Its 0 Gauge OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) wire from the alternator to the battery Pos, new battery ground, and an engine block ground.

As for amp kits... Scosche is hit or miss. Some of their wire is pretty good, some is not. I am willing to bet your's is on the small side. I would suggest buying everything separate from wiring brands like Knu Konceptz or Sky High. Either go with 0 gauge to a distribution block which will allow you to run a smaller sized wire out of it to your amps. This will ensure maximum current flow and give you headroom for upgrading.

However, mylows will certainly help you and take care of you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.