need help choosing correct ORION AMP

Participant count
  • Participant list

cagodinez
10+ year member

New to the forum here, very good information, I'm from Southern California (Lake Perris) 65 miles east of Orange County. This is my situation, have 2 ORION amps 275R and the 2250 THE BEAST, been siting in my garage since 2001 along with my CRYSTAL MOBILE SOUND CMPX2 15 sub:crap: Here is my question, what amp should I use? I don't know jack about bridging or lower ohms on amps. I want to work with what I have, don't wan't to spend money on new class D amp. Can you guys also recomend a good shop in Orange County that knows ORION amps well? I want to be able to go in there and tell them exactly what I need and want done. By the way I'm upgrading to a 140 amp alternator and going to be running 15 fared alumapro cap. Any information greatly appreciated.

Actually now that i think about it. You should sell those old beaters and get a newer amp like a Hifonics 1605. I'll give you 300.00 for the pair of Orions and you could pick one of those up.

I'm trying to work with what I have, so I gues my question is, can I drop the 275r to 1ohm stable with this particular sub? its a crystal mobile sound cmpx2 15 dual voice coil.

The amp is rated @ 1200 watts @ 1 ohm but will give you 1400 watts from what i have heard and your sub is a dual 2 ohm sub, so 1400 is what the amp will give it.

You have hooked this amp up @ 1 ohm before right? You know this amp is going to be a major drain on your electrical right?

This is what you have right?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/CRYCMPX215

If it was me, i would do one of 2 things. Sell or dont use either of those amps on the sub. If you want to keep it Orion, get the Orion 250hcca, it should power that sub perfectly @ 1 ohm. You can pick a used one up in good condition for like 300 on ebay. Then you can sell those 2 amps you have for around 800.00, maybe more.

Or, i would get 2 dual 4 ohm subs that can handle 700 or so watts each, and put the Orion 275 on it. Then you could sell the 2250 & the sub.

But no, i wouldnt use either one of those amps on that sub. Just wasting power in my opinion. If you are going to run the 275 and deal with the electrical issues, may as well get the most out of that amp and run 2 of those crystal subs or a better sub. Otherwise, get an Orion 250hcca and you probably wont even need the HO Alternator, just a capacitor and the big 3 upgrade.

sorry for the stupid question but what the hell is THE BIG 3 ???
Basically, to sum it up. The big 3 creates a better link from your power under the hood to the power in your amplifier. It eases the flow of power. It uses thicker wiring than normal. I m not an expert in this area but this is how it was explained to me. But this is definitely the thing you do before getting any HO alternators. The link below will explain in greater detail.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152355

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.