Need Help with setup in my old 63 Chevy truck! There's a small prize for the best setup!

Participant count
  • Participant list

doublegucci

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if I could get a couple of suggestions for a setup.

I have a 63 Chevy Truck and have lots of constraints.
So, I was hoping someone could suggest what a good complete setup to install would be.

Current setup:
Older Kenwood Unit
1-5x7 after-market center speaker only.

I have attached some photos of the interior. It has a lot of metal hard to find places for speakers. (Need ideas!)

My budget is around $500-$1500 (Crutchfield products?)

I’m looking to get a decent head unit and figure out how to add additional speakers (currently only 1 speaker is allowed) want to add at least 4 speakers) and how to make it sound great.

I was assuming maybe something like external 4- or 6-inch speaker kick panels? somewhere or maybe something under the seat?

The best suggestion for a setup is to get a $25-50 Starbucks gift card or something like that of your choice to show my appreciation. I guess nothing is free in life anymore even advice…

Thanks in advance.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas!

DG

IMG_2469.jpg
the dash and old head unit
IMG_2470.jpg
old unit
IMG_2471.jpg
Corners possible external kick panels?

IMG_2473.jpg

Corners of the upper dash has lots of metal hard to attach anything

The Current external kick panels only one design exist with cut outs for the flappers

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

Underneath the seat will allow for some room for speakers, subwoofer? and amp?

IMG_2478.jpg

Dash area

Last edited:
You could do a 6.5 component set ran active off a 4 channel amp...put the 6.5 in the doors and run pods for the tweets

Or run the components passive off 2 channels and bridge the rear 2 channels to power a sub...

Last edited:
You could do a 6.5 component set ran active off a 4 channel amp...put the 6.5 in the doors and run pods for the tweets

Or run the components passive off 2 channels and bridge the rear 2 channels to power a

The doors are metal and cant and would not want to really do that they are panted sorry cant really see that in the photos so I can not run anything to the door really they are metal and painted

Put 6.5 mid range speakers in the kick panels, surface mount a set of tweeters to the kick panels and do a couple of low profile subs under the seats. These trucks are loud inside, I would most likely go with pro audio 6.5’s over a regular coaxial or component set, because you will want the extra volume that they can produce. Your biggest problem is going to be getting enough bass to keep up with the rest of the sound. If you ever decide to get the gas tank out of the cab, ( I highly recommend that, regardless of the speaker situation ) the you will have the room to do a much better subwoofer setup.

Last edited:
There might be a good deal in here for you:

$500-$1500 is a wide range for a budget.

The head unit is not bad, but it might be missing some features. I like Kenwood Excelon head units. They are easy to use, and have some decent adjustability. You can get with or without CD player, USB front, and have 5v preouts. $100-$150

The first thing I would do is figure out placement. I think this is what is limiting you if you aren't willing to cut. Search for some premade body panels for the speakers. Thats a popular body style to customize, and you might be able to find some nice ready made pillars or door panels. You should really see what your options are for where you can mount em. If you're up for it, you can always make your own fiberglass panels. You really want to get your tweeters up near shoulder/head level to hear em. You can buy generic tweeter pods and mount them to the dash, pillars or even the door, but you need tweeters, and you need em higher than the kick panels. Unlike everyone else, I think your biggest issue right now, is where are the speakers going to go. If you had to spend half your budget on panels so they are up in the right location, it might be worth it.

Two ways for the front are cheaper, but are going to be nearly impossible to find a good spot if you're not willing to cut the metal. You're ONLY option would be to get some components. Mount the 5.25 or 6.5" mids down by the kick panels and get some tweeters mounted up higher. On the dash, the door panels, even the roof with your steel body.

Do some components in the front with a 4ch amp. You can get it, install it, and after you play it, THEN you see what's missing. You can then plan the back speakers. Do you have holes or plans for the C pillars? You can put most likely mids, or two-ways that are powered off those other two channels. If you don't need it all that loud, don't want to add holes in the back, then just get a 2ch amp, and just worry about a single set of components up front.

I would bet just a little bit of sound deadener would go a long way. That or you can even buy the mat for under the carpet.

Can I ask, built or bought? (or a better way for me to ask), Do you have the skill or desire to create custom panels out of most likely fiberglass so that you can mount everything in a good place?

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I think I found a decent setup on Amazon for my truck. Could I run it past you guys?
See what's missing? Do I need to order anything else?
I intentionally left the Amazon links so you guys can see the tech specs. I'm not sure I have it correct.
Do you think I could replace any of the equipment with something somewhat better similar cost or price point? Something better on Amazon? Not opposed to ordering from somewhere else either.

All the reviews I've been reading based on what I have it's a decent setup at that price point.

Thank you guys in advance!

Blaupunkt 1500W 4-Channel, Full-Range Amplifier, Opens in a new tab
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer for CAR, Opens in a new tab
Alpine UTE-73BT Advanced Bluetooth Mech-Less Digital Media Receiver (Does not Play CDs), Opens in a new tab
BOSS Audio Systems KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit - A Car Amplifier Wiring Kit Helps You Make Connections and Brings Power To Your Radio, Subwoofers and Speakers, Opens in a new tab
JBL GTO609C Premium 6.5-Inch Component Speaker System, Opens in a new tab
2 Pcs Universal Angled Speaker Enclosures Boxes Pods Surface Mount with Rubber Strip for Install 6.5 Inch Speakers or Smaller Custom Mount Door Kick Panel Rear Deck (Black, Hole Cut), Opens in a new tab

Last edited:
I'd suggest suggest using an amp install kit that has copper wire instead of cca...and those blaupunkt amps aren't good...they run hot and have a pretty short life

Yeah, you just kind of went as cheap as you can get.

That's a 4ch amp, and you only need two with that list.

Your alpine head unit has a 3 band eq, that's a real turn-off for me.

Here's where I would go with it:

amp, add about $50 and get a nice 2ch amp if that is all you are running. You can dial anything down, but get your speakers first so you know what you need.
Powered sub, there's a few like that, mehhhh ok.
Head unit, add $20-$40 and find something with better features.
Amp kit, add $20-$30 and get one that is OFC.
Components: See if you can find a deal here on something you might be interested in:
You can get plenty of recommendations for stuff to atleast look at.

IMO components and their amp, is where the most money should go

Last edited:
Yeah, you just kind of went as cheap as you can get.

That's a 4ch amp, and you only need two with that list.

Your alpine head unit has a 3 band eq, that's a real turn-off for me.

Here's where I would go with it:

amp, add about $50 and get a nice 2ch amp if that is all you are running. You can dial anything down, but get your speakers first so you know what you need.
Powered sub, there's a few like that, mehhhh ok.
Head unit, add $20-$40 and find something with better features.
Amp kit, add $20-$30 and get one that is OFC.
Components: See if you can find a deal here on something you might be interested in:
You can get plenty of recommendations for stuff to atleast look at.

IMO components and their amp, is where the most money should go
Could you suggest what you would build it out with as you suggested? Please...

Thank you.

A lot of guys say I'm going low-end on cost but I see a lot of guys recommending just as cheap or cheaper products. Like

MESO-6-5-3WAY-COM // Meso 6.5 Inch 500 Watt 3-Way Component Speaker Set for $199​

So I'm confused on here so many guys don't really know what to recommend.
I know there are a lot of configurations to use out there but I feel there should be some standard setups with brands that people love.

If there was a mid-priced setup you would use what would it be?

- 6.5 component speakers
- Single DIN head unit
-Amp
- Slim under seat sub

thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...