Need more mid bass and some advice on how to go about it

Rockchopper86

Nj
Hey guys ok so here's what I have. Pioneer deh 6400bt head unit Kenwood 6.5s in my doors pioneer 4x6s in the back and a kicker l7 15 I have a ppi 1800.1 ordered from big scott. Now as it stands I really like the way everything sounds even with the little 2 channel Kenwood on the l7 but im really lacking in mid bass. You know like the bass guitar if your listening to country. So that's the equipment I have once the ppi amp comes I'll have an extra Kenwood 600 watt 2 channel amp laying around I could use and this is all in a 95 f150 extended cab truck. So what's gonna be the best budget route to get some more mid bass output in this truck? New speakers or some kinda small sub on the Kenwood amp or other ideas? Thanks.

Ya I guess I should ad that this is a big lifted truck with very aggressive tires as well as a built motor so I am gonna be fighting lots of road and engine noise no matter what I do

Ya I guess I should ad that this is a big lifted truck with very aggressive tires as well as a built motor so I am gonna be fighting lots of road and engine noise no matter what I do
Follow that build man. Everything with the doors should be done. Mass loaded vinyl on the floor of your truck under the carpet will reduce road noise too. Do you want mindblowing midbass right away or do you want to work at it?

Mindblowing requires some custom work

I'm almost thinking about throwing some kinda 8 inch subwoofers in the lower part of the doors on the old Kenwood or something. Really not sure what the best route to take would be

Follow that build man. Everything with the doors should be done. Mass loaded vinyl on the floor of your truck under the carpet will reduce road noise too.
Ok ya it is the xl model truck so I'm working with those half door panels and vynle floor covering atm

I'm almost thinking about throwing some kinda 8 inch subwoofers in the lower part of the doors on the old Kenwood or something. Really not sure what the best route to take would be
not subwoofers, they will play too low, i've tried with a 10" shallow mount sub in the center console that was advertised to play only 50-200hz, That sh*t still played waaaay too low to be considered midbass. Go with these actual midbass drivers that will play midbass https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/silver-flute-w20rc38-04-ohm-8-wool-cone/ and some 4 inch midrange on the top A pillar along with tweeters there too and it'll sound amazing

Really? Cool those are pretty cheap. Would they work right in the door without a box? What should I cross them over at if I go this route? The Kenwood I have would send about 150 watts to each of them.

Really? Cool those are pretty cheap. Would they work right in the door without a box? What should I cross them over at if I go this route? The Kenwood I have would send about 150 watts to each of them.
Highest people go with them is 1.2khz, most go lower around 500-750hz. As long as you do the door deadening and sealing like the 2014 accord build log that was mentioned earlier, you should have plenty of midbass. The door itself becomes an enclosure.

Ok cool. Any suggestions on a cheap crossover for them. My head unit won't go that high and the old amp I wanna use isn't really adjustable in that range

Or possibly a more bassy 6.5 and just replace the door speakers I have. Then I could put that Kenwood on those if that would be better. I'm open to ideas.

Road noise is often in major competition with our attention at the same range of sound as midbass from our music. You have more road noise and other cabin noise than the average vehicle. If you could reduce that ambient noise by even 3 dB it would be like doubling the power from your speakers in the same range of sound. Sound deadening isn't nearly as **** as putting in some shiny new speakers, but if you do it right everything else you do to the audio system will be more enjoyable. A downside to this is you can't really take sound deadening materials and move them to another vehicle. What isn't glued down is cut to tightly fit your doors, the floor pan, etc.

Road noise is often in major competition with our attention at the same range of sound as midbass from our music. You have more road noise and other cabin noise than the average vehicle. If you could reduce that ambient noise by even 3 dB it would be like doubling the power from your speakers in the same range of sound. Sound deadening isn't nearly as **** as putting in some shiny new speakers, but if you do it right everything else you do to the audio system will be more enjoyable. A downside to this is you can't really take sound deadening materials and move them to another vehicle. What isn't glued down is cut to tightly fit your doors, the floor pan, etc.

Very much this ^^^^ though OP seems to think that just buying new speakers without any of this grunt work will give the results he is after.... good luck with that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.