Need opinions...

Participant count
  • Participant list

kaige

I currently have a Alpine CDA-7977 HU with a Sony Xplod 800w amp powering my stock speakers. SQ is amazing with this setup so far.

I was planning getting 2 12" Alpine Type R's. How much wattage would I need to power these subs sufficiently? Sorry, I don't know much about systems but my friends have been saying that Class D amps are the way to go for subs, so what exactly does class d stand for? From what I heard, it's a 1-channel amp where you split the wires to power the subs. I would prefer an Alpine amp (if you haven't noticed already) but I'm not sure if they have what I'm looking for/need.

Class D amps use digital switching, which converts to very high amplification efficiency (uses less battery power to make power).

Use 200W RMS minimum for good output. They'll handle 500W RMS. The more wattage, of course, the more output.

I reccomend using a 600-1000WRMS class D amp.

A few good ones for your application are MTX 6500D, Rockford BD1000.1 or BD500.1, Harrison Labs 800.4 or 800.1, Lanzar 1200D, USAcoustics USX800D or USX1000D. These are a just a few.

I'm pretty sure Alpine doesn't make a class D amp.

Using a non-class D amp wouldn't be a bad idea, just keep in mind that it will take much more power from your charging system and battery to produce the amount of power (generally double).

Upgrading your alternator is adviseable in either case though, if you haven't already, with that amount of power being produced.

Thanks a lot for the help guys...but I have another question. Would it be worth it to buy an Alpine amp to make use of the Bass Engine feature that they advertise with their HU's or just forget about it and stick with a good quality class D amp from another manufacturer?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.