need some advice....for powering my subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

DeathGrind

Hello Everyone! I need some advice for powering my subs.

I just purchased a JL Audio CS210RG-W3v3-2.

Technical Specification

* Sensitivity: 85 dB

* RMS Power Range : 200 - 1000 Watts

* Peak Power Handling: 2000 Watts

* Impedance: 2 Ohm

* Low Frequency response: 25 Hz

* High Frequency Response: 250 Hz

* Diameter: 10 Inch

Link for JL Audio CS210RG-W3v3-2:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=9&prod_id=424

I have a PPI A404 amp. Would this amp be enough to run the subs? I was looking through the PPI A404 manual and couldn't seem to find anything about running the amp at 2 ohms mono. I don't know very much about ohms and what not.

Link for PPI A404 manual:

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/og/precision_power/Precision_Power_Ax400_Owners_Manual.pdf

I have another PPI amp in my storage. Not sure what it is but I pretty sure it is a A600, A300 or a A204. I'll know what it is when I make a trip to my storage a few hundred miles away in the next few days. I do recall it being a 2 channel amp.

Anyway I have the PPI A404 sitting right next to me. Would this amp be enough to power my subs i just purchased?

I read that using the PPI A404 for subs is almost a waste, since it has such nice and clean mids and highs.

those subs are 500rms each and that amp is putting out 100rms @ 2 ohms so u need a way bigger amp. im not a fan of jl but i see that ur new to car audio so ill help u out, u need a amp thats putting out like 800-1000rms @ 2ohms to power these.

A good amp for you would be the Audioque 1200D (Located Here) or the new sundown audio SAE-1200D amplifier (located Here) Not quite enough power on the AQ, but I hear that the sundown is very underrated.

thanks for the info! I was looking for the suggested amps, and can't seem to find them.

Anyway, I don't really have much money to spend on an amp now. Most of my money went to the subs and my deck (Pioneer Premeire DEH610BT). I could maybe spend up to 150 dollars on an amp. I not picky at all, I just need something to power my subs with.

I assume since I just need to power my subs with a amp and since the subs are mono, I should be looking into a class D monoblock amp. No need to get a 2 channel amp for the subs i assume.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Any one have any suggestion on a decent cheap 1000W RMS 2 ohm mono amp?

Hmmm this amp looks decent to me what do you guys think:

KENWOOD KAC-9104D ======

# Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier

# RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan.

* 2 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan.

* 1 ohm: >900 watts x 1 chan.

# Max power output: 1800 watts x 1 chan.

# MOSFET power supply

# LED power indicator

# Tuned Bass EQ (0-18 dB bass boost at 40 Hz)

# Stackable operation capable

# Phase inverter (0°,180°)

# Speaker-level inputs with signal sensing for automatic turn-on)

# Preamp RCA outputs

# Short circuit, DC offset, overload, and thermal protection circuitry

# Aluminum die cast heat sink

# Built-in cooling fan

# Gold-plated RCA level inputs

# Gold-plated screw terminals

# Variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

# CEA-2006 compliant amplifier

# Frequency response: 5-200 Hz

Well I ended up buying the KENWOOD KAC-9104D . Got it for around $130.00. It is rated at 2 ohms: 900 watts RMS x 1 chan. So that should be good enough to power my subs.

I found out that the other PPI amp i had was the PPI A300.2. Not sure what I'll use that for.

Well I ended up buying the KENWOOD KAC-9104D . Got it for around $130.00. It is rated at 2 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan. So that should be good enough to power my subs.
I found out that the other PPI amp i had was the PPI A300.2. Not sure what I'll use that for.

that amp sould do fine on those subs, use the other amp for your front speakers

I have a PPI A404 and a PPI a300.2. I have read some good things about the PPI a404, so I think I will use that for my front and rear speakers. I'm having trouble finding some good 6.5" (front speakers) and 4" (rear speakers). The PPI A404 rates as the following:

Art Series Model: A404

Continuous Power Output:

(Front/Rear Output - Watts per Channel)

4 Ohms, 11-15 VDC, Stereo: 50 Watts

2 Ohms, 11-15 VDC, Stereo: 100 Watts

4 Ohms, 11-15 VDC, Bridged: 200 Watts

To bad I just ordered some infinity Reference 6022si. But they are only rated at 50W RMS, at 2 ohms i believe. I got some kenwood 4" speakers to but they are only 20 W RMS.

So anyway, any one have any suggestions on some good 6.5" and 4" speakers to run off my PPI A404.

Thanks

Nate

hey guys. One more question. The kenwood amp calls for a 4 gauge wiring kit, which I have already purchased. I was looking into getting a fused power block. Since I have already ordered a 4 gauge wiring kit, is it safe to use a power block to run a 4 gauge input wire, and then split it into 2 4 gauge outputs? Or could i just use a 4 gauge input wire and split it to 2 8 gauge wires? Or should I just buy some 1 gauge wire and split it to 2 4 gauge wires, I would rather not have to buy more wire.

Anyway I want to run a KENWOOD KAC-9104D and a PPI A404. Is 8 gauge wire from a power block with a 4 gauge input wire sufficiant for these amps?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------edit-

nevermind I just reread the KENWOOD KAC-9104D manual it said 8AWG wire is fine for it. I just answered my own question. A 4 gauge input to 2 8 gauge outputs is what I am getting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.