Need some help choosing speakers

first I'd like to introduce myself as being a newbie on the forum. My name is Jon and this IS my first post and I was attracted to you guys because of two things:

1. I love cars

2. I love audio

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif so naturally caraudio.com is the right choice! haha

Anyways, the GF is getting me a set of speakers for Christmas as my front right is blown and emitting a horrid buzzing sound constantly. I'd like to upgrade those speakers to a set of components. Now if I understand correctly I've come to the determination of the following:

1. I want to find a set of speakers that have a nice high frequency response but can also handle relatively low frequencies. I AM running subwoofers so I would imagine the LOW LOW frequencies should be left to them, but I can imagine its nice to have supporting bass coming from the speakers. Clarify if needed....

2. I want to find a set of speakers that can handle a decent RMS rating,

3. Amp is a 4ch amp that runs 75W RMS x 4 @ 4ohm OR 150W RMS x 4 @ 2 ohm (Naturally because its half the resistance obviously)

I've seen theres ratings like Sensitivity (which I've never understood).... Peak power handling, which I understand to basically be a BS number that gets people excited //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif LOL

As for the tweeters, I understand that the composition determines what kind of sound comes out of it, super high ear piercing or mellowed lower-ish sound.

Woofer composition I can imagine plays a part as well, although I don't know whats good and whats not. same with Woofer Surround, don't know enough about it. I know that there is a difference between rubber and butyl rubber but don't know how it affects sound quality/clarity.

I'm looking at a 2-Way component 6-1/2'' set of speakers.

As per my knowledge, I saw the Audiobahn ABC600V speakers which seemed to have pretty impressive, compared to others with higher prices, ratings:

Tweeter composition - Silk

Woofer Composition - Honeycomb Laminate (HCL)

Woofer Surround - Butyl Rubber

Peak Power - 280W

RMS Power - 140W

Sensitivity - 91dB (Is this good?)

Frequency Response - 30 - 25000Hz

Impedance - 4ohm

All for $50!!

I've got an Audiobahn A6004V amplifier (4ch amp)

I've made up a relatively quick wishlist of potential options. Can anyone shed some light on my choices here? I want the best bang for the buck.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/wishlist_jschmok@gmail.com

Thanks for all your help everyone and wish you all a Merry Christmas! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I appreciate the reply but that being said, I want this purchase to also be a learning experience, if anyone would be so gracious as to shed some light on my knowledge as I can bet some of it is wrong....

Audiobahn = Fail
Yea, somethings been up with them lately in that it seems that they advertise great products but low quality //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

How do Alpine Type-R Components perform? like I asid before, I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to buying this stuff which is wy I'd like to understand a bit more about it.

In regards to sensitivity, do I want a higher sensitivity or lower?? I can imagine that I want a big range for frequency range.... low starting Hz to a high ending Hz.

Please inform //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Type R components arent bad, but then again on the pricey side, their is better that can be had for the money. If you are on a budget, then Pheonix Gold Rsd 6.5 comp set is what you need, and its affordable, but if you are looking to spend a little more and have a little better quality, the Id comps mentioned in the 2nd post are what to get.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.