Need some help.. Speakers keep cuttin on and off

Participant count
  • Participant list

trestokes

First off I have two Kicker Subs 10CVR122 12" hooked up with a Pioneer class d mono amplifier 1200w watts 2 channel. I love how they sound but hate when they start to cut on and off while im driving. Im pretty novice with the technical parts but i know where everything is. I have checked all the wiring and everything seems to be in place. I have a 80amp fuse on a 4 gauge power cable. Also I have a 4 gauge ground wire.

Well I'll be driving for maybe 10 minutes then suddenly my subs will start skipping beats then cut off completely. I checked the amp to see if the light is still on and it is?!? Then after maybe 15 minutes they will kinda cut back on but cut right off again. Whats going on?

the subs are 2 ohm DVC. how you have them wired (final impedance) determines if the amp can run that load for extended periods of time.

most likely; the amp is mono stable to 2 ohms and if so you should have the subs wired for a 2 ohm mono load.

a model number for the amp will help us determine what the amp can power. a wiring diagram of how you have the subs wired will tell us what your problem may be. we need both model numbers and wiring diagrams. wiring should include from amp to box and from box to sub(s)

the most common reasons amps shut off are:

1. too low of an impedance

2. improper gain setting causes clipping and overheating

3. improper wiring methods causes intermittent short circuits

The amp is a Pioneer GM-D8400M. Im not really sure what the wiring is called but I know the subs are bridged. The positives from each sub go into one socket on the amp as do the negatives.

check your impedence. u probably have it wired in parallel which why it cuts out since you have the subs at .5 ohm. and your amp must be hot as hell since its only 2 ohm stable. wire your subs in series and i think that should fix it

check your impedence. u probably have it wired in parallel which why it cuts out since you have the subs at .5 ohm. and your amp must be hot as hell since its only 2 ohm stable. wire your subs in series and i think that should fix it
Can you link me a diagram or explain how they should be wired? Im not familiar with the different types.

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

Ok with gain adjusted I found another problem. My fuse holder is over heating and burning the ends of my power wire which is a 4 gauge. Also the fuse holder itself is melting bit by bit. I use an 80 amp fuse and the holder is kicker brand. How can I prevent the over heating?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.