Need some help.

Participant count
  • Participant list

k.bean
10+ year member

Jupiter
I have a mono amp rated at 657 watts @ 2ohms with two SVC subs wired to it. The amp has two sets of +/- speaker connections and is internally wired in parellel. I want to send 300 watts to each of my subs. When I set my gains I used a DMM and put the probes into the left set of speaker connections. I found the desired voltage to get 300watts to be 24.49V so I set the gain until it reached this point. After I reconnected the subs and fired them up, they didn't seem very loud. I'm wondering if my gain setting is right, because it ended up at being set far below the half way mark. I don't see how this could be right since it should be putting out 600 watts, almost all of its rated power.

Its pretty hard for me to explain this but let me know if you have any knowledge with this kind of amp set up. Thanks

If you set your gains using the formula for 300W RMS, then your only setting your amp to send a grand total of 300W RMS...re-do the forumla for 657 amd reset the gains...

Oh I see, I thought that since there are two seperate speaker connections it would be giving 300 to each connection. But you're saying if I find the voltage for 657 and then set it so that comes out of one terminal, then it will turn into about 300 to each speaker when i hook them back up?

When testing for the voltage... what 2 connections do I want the DMM probes in? Does it matter?

Amp looks like this: - + - +

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.