Need your advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

BertoM
10+ year member

So long story short I allowed myself to get ripped off by a stereo shop a few months ago. I ended up getting two 10 in Kicker Comp subs under the back seat in my F150 in a sealed box with a Pioneer 1200 watt amp and a Sony head unit.

I have not been very satisfied with the subs. They seem to be kind of peaky and it just ruins certain songs.

I starting looking into replacing the subs with one Sundown E 12, however, I don't think I will be able to do it. I started taking measurements and I will not be able to fit the sub due to the mounting depth, I mean I could make it work but I do not think it would be worth it.

While looking at things and taking measurements though I noticed that the box is starting to separate in a spot and consequently not sealed. The subs are also up firing and I'm fairly certain hit the bottom of the seat.

So now I am unsure of what to do. Whatever I decide on doing is going to have to use a sealed box, the Pioneer amp, and the Pioneer AVH-P2400BT that I just got.

Do I just seal the box back up? Build a new downfiring box with the correct airspace? Replace it all with just one 10 or 12 (I think I have around 5.5 in of mounting depth I'll double check when I get home)?

I was going to do that I am just worried about head room back there, you don't think it will be a big deal?

Also, do you think I would be satisfied with one 10 or 12 of higher quality?

After closely examining the box a little more I have determined that the box is junk. So since I am going to need to build a new box I don't want to waste the time of building a new box for the comps. I am planning on just using a single 10 or 12 but really not sure what sub to go with. I do not want to spend that much on a sub (hopefully around $100) and I think a sealed box is really my only option (about 1 cube). So what would you guys recommend?

The amp I am going to use is a Pioneer GM-D8400M which is "1200 watts", so probably what 400 watts (? site says 600 watts) at 2 ohms. I don't care if it is new or used, probably prefer used for a better value. Car audio is not a huge deal to me so I'm not willing to drop thousands of dollars into a system, I am just looking for something that will sound good but can make you feel it if I want.

I think I might go with those since I'm only going to be using one sub I would prefer it be a 12. Thanks

Also the site lists 1 cube for a sealed box, it that optimal?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.