New car desperately needs help!

Participant count
  • Participant list
First off, I'm new here. I've been eying these forums for a while now, and with the purchase of my new car I figured I'd sign up!

Now.... I just got a 78 Cadillac Coupe DeVille which had an old JVC tape deck installed, and I replaced that with a JVC KD-G300 that I had laying around the house. I also installed an Alpine Type-R 12 in a ported Alpine box and an Alpine amp (not sure of the model number or specs).

After I got everything installed, I got a little antsy and cranked it a bit too far and blew 2 of the 32 year old speakers. (big shocker, huh?) So I'm in need of some new speakers... I need 4x6's up front, and 6x9's in the back. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site I can get some CHEAP speakers just to hold me over until I can afford to do it right. Ebay isn't giving me many options at this point, and I live in the middle of no where in South Dakota, so there's not a pawn shop or even a Wal Mart within an hours drive.

Also, anyone know a cheap way to stop the rattle? The car is old, so it sounds like it's falling apart when the bass hits. Which is really bad since this is only ONE 12".

I'm also wondering the best way to install aftermarket speakers in the rear deck? The factory speakers are held on with a bracket on the underside of the rear deck in the trunk. I'm assuming that aftermarkets wouldn't just fit into those brackets. What would you guys suggest? I'm not TOO worried about keeping a stock look.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Caddy

weatherstripping foam is the cheapest way to quiet rattles.

cheap is relative. you're not going to get anything "cheap" that you won't just blow again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

a 4x6 plate speaker is your best bet up front, then make enclosures for some 6" midbass drivers on/in the doors. Boston Acoustics or Infinity make decent budget plate speakers.

for the rear speakers, you'll need to make a mounting baffle out of wood (MDF) that secures to the rear deck that you can screw your speakers to. Make sure to use foam between the baffle and metal to prevent more buzzes.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not looking to do anything to the doors until I'm ready (and not so broke) to go all out with the stereo. I plan to redo the entire interior piece by piece anyhow, and will probably put some sound in the doors when I redo/replace the door panels.

I'll send you a PM with a couple of questions.

Still looking for a good site to get some cheap speakers if anyone knows of any... I'm currently running on one 6x9 in the back, and all the others are blown. lol It's a bit annoying.

CD - Glad to see you're interested in improving SQ in your car. There are many ways to stop rattles in a car however I believe in doing it once, doing right and doing it yourself. I have invested in car damping material from Second Skin Audio for several years now including my car, my wife's truck and my sisters car. I have never had issues with SS damping material, in fact I have enjoyed my car 1000% more since I added SS product.

I urge you to review SS products and forum to learn, enjoy and elevate your cars SQ.

Second Skin Damplifier CLD Sound Deadener Mats

A 78 Coupe Deville deserves better things than "cheap" speakers mang, skip the 4x6s and build some fiberglass pods for the front, remove the 6x9s in the back and leave it open so bass can come through easier, assuming no one is sitting back there anyway.

Older Devilles have superthick backseats so getting bass into the cabin is not easy.

I agree it deserves better, for sure... but my wallet begs to differ. lol I'll do it up right when I have the cash, I just want 4 working speakers right now. And I just wanted a temporary fix for the rattles until I can afford to get my hands on some SS Damplifier. I've already had several friends suggest it, and had one side-by-side compare his Yukon with SS to an Explorer with a mixture of Dyno and Fatmat. Both running roughly the same sound setup, and his Yukon blew me away.

I got the rattle somewhat shut down for now just wedging paper towels under the plastics on the inside, and in any little crack under the trunk lid and rear deck. I know, it's ghetto as hell, but it worked, and only cost me a dollar for a roll of cheap paper towels. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.