New guy needing some guidance on first full install on my own

912dawg

Hi, everyone.

I've been lurking here for a while now and just recently joined the forum. Like the title says, I need some advice. I have some basic knowledge but still have lots to learn. I have never done a full install myself, but I want to tackle it on this vehicle. I just bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado crew cab. It has 6.5" speakers in each door, and tweeters in the a-pillars.

This is what I have in mind:

Polk MM6501 components for the front

Polk MM651 coaxials for the rear

4 channel amp: ??? (Maybe Polk PAD4004?)

Two Sundown SA-8's in a custom ported box under the rear seat (could someone recommend a builder please?)

Rockford Fosgate Power T1000-1bd(already have from different vehicle)

Pioneer AVIC-6000nex head unit (already have from a trade)

Also, I would like to sound deaden the cab(haven't decided on what to use)

I had my last system professionally installed. They ran 0 gauge from the battery to the rear, then used a distribution block that sent 4 gauge to each of my two amps. Should I do the same here, or is there a better method? I plan on doing the Big 3 upgrade. Would I be better off buying an amp kit or purchasing wires separately? I've read good things about Knukonceptz, and I'm sure there are many other good brands. Any recommendations? I would like to use OFC if I can afford it.

I know this is a lot to cover, but I would really appreciate any input/advice/guidance. I'm not looking to win any sound competitions. I just want the highest quality sound I can afford. I listen to a pretty wide range of music. The Fosgate amp has an adjustable "bass knob" that mounts in the dash. I have read up on setting the gain with a multimeter. Will this knob interfere with that? I would like to be able to use it if possible. I have two kids and would like to be able to adjust the bass depending on whether or not they are riding with me.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to read this long post and offer your help.

You can get a big3 kit from mylows10, already cut and ready to install. He has sky high wire, it made my knu look like 2g wire. And yes, you would be better off running 0/1g from the front to a distribution block, the out to the amps. That rf amp would do well on those 8s. As far as for a box, boomsday does good, quick work, I have one of his. CSCStang has built a good rep as well. I ran a set of polk mm 6x9s, they did what I needed them too. Good luck dude, hope it works out for you. You will both enjoy, and be frustrated by installing yourself, but it will be worth it.

I can help you with everything. You need. Also a custom box from starmountain out of Tennessee the speakers are ok. Nothing special. Tho. If your not dead set on them. Then I can recommend better. Also I'm doing a Black Friday special now until next Friday that will save you some cash. 5-10%

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate the feedback and info.

Mylows10, the only equipment I'm set on is the Fosgate amp for my subs and the Pioneer head unit. That's only because I already have them and won't have to spend any money on them. I'm open to any suggestions for any part of the system. I do know that I don't want super bright/harsh tweeters up front. I want to be able to tell they are there, but would like to be able to make a long road trip without getting annoyed.

Thanks again.

I can help you with everything. You need. Also a custom box from starmountain out of Tennessee the speakers are ok. Nothing special. Tho. If your not dead set on them. Then I can recommend better. Also I'm doing a Black Friday special now until next Friday that will save you some cash. 5-10%
Yeah, this guy can help you all the way around, great guy to deal, even if you just need info on things, very knowledgeable. Has helped me out several times. Can't go wrong dealing with him.

Mylows10, the only equipment I'm set on is the Fosgate amp for my subs and the Pioneer head unit. That's only because I already have them and won't have to spend any money on them. I'm open to any suggestions for any part of the system. I do know that I don't want super bright/harsh tweeters up front. I want to be able to tell they are there, but would like to be able to make a long road trip without getting annoyed.

Thanks again.
Your welcome dude, that's why most of us are here. Hit up mylows10, he'll be able to take care of you.

Thanks again.
Budget and goals. Would be nice to know. So I can recommend what you need

Budget and goals. Would be nice to know. So I can recommend what you need
Ok. This truck is my daily driver, so I don't want to do anything extreme to it. I would just like to have a nice "full" sound. I know almost anything would be an upgrade over stock, but I want the highest quality/best sound I can afford.

My last car with a system was a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. I had MB Quartz(don't know the model) 6.5" components up front with matching coaxials in the rear. Had a Directed 1100d amp on one Kicker L7 12. One of my friends is a huge Widespread Panic fan. He hooked up his ipod to play some of their music in my car. He was amazed. He said he could hear all kind of sounds that he couldn't on his stock Bose. That's what I want again. I don't know the correct jargon to use to describe it.

I don't have a specific dollar amount to stay under, but here are the prices for everything I have picked out so far. I would like to stay in this same ballpark. Plus, I still need wiring and sound deadening, plus adaptors for the head unit to work with the stock steering wheel controls, xm, etc.

Polk MM6501 components $199.95

Polk MM651 coaxials $125.95

Polk PAD40004 4 -ch amp $215.55(not set on this, just haven't researched anything else yet)

Knukonceptz Kolossus Flex 0 gauge Amp kit $115.99(not set on this, just using as a price reference again)

-I know I will need more than what this kit comes with, but this should be the biggest chunk of the wiring cost

Still need sound deadening and all my adaptors/harnesses to work with factory features.

With that rear bench at stock height it could be tough running sa8's under there. They have a big "backside."
You were recommended as a box-builder to me. Have you ever built one to go under the rear seat in a truck like mine? Mylows10 said I might need to raise it or move it forward. I have heard of people stacking washers on the mounting bolts to raise the seat an inch or so. I'd prefer not to have to do that. I guess the only way to know is to get you the measurements. I will post them soon.

Ok. This truck is my daily driver, so I don't want to do anything extreme to it. I would just like to have a nice "full" sound. I know almost anything would be an upgrade over stock, but I want the highest quality/best sound I can afford.
My last car with a system was a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. I had MB Quartz(don't know the model) 6.5" components up front with matching coaxials in the rear. Had a Directed 1100d amp on one Kicker L7 12. One of my friends is a huge Widespread Panic fan. He hooked up his ipod to play some of their music in my car. He was amazed. He said he could hear all kind of sounds that he couldn't on his stock Bose. That's what I want again. I don't know the correct jargon to use to describe it.

I don't have a specific dollar amount to stay under, but here are the prices for everything I have picked out so far. I would like to stay in this same ballpark. Plus, I still need wiring and sound deadening, plus adaptors for the head unit to work with the stock steering wheel controls, xm, etc.

Polk MM6501 components $199.95

Polk MM651 coaxials $125.95

Polk PAD40004 4 -ch amp $215.55(not set on this, just haven't researched anything else yet)

Knukonceptz Kolossus Flex 0 gauge Amp kit $115.99(not set on this, just using as a price reference again)

-I know I will need more than what this kit comes with, but this should be the biggest chunk of the wiring cost

Still need sound deadening and all my adaptors/harnesses to work with factory features.
Well I can keep in the same price range for speakers and the amp kit no problem. The amp would be more. But a much better amp to. Quality and performance The deadener will depend on how much you need the harness and steering control module. I can do also. What truck ?

Well I can keep in the same price range for speakers and the amp kit no problem. The amp would be more. But a much better amp to. Quality and performance The deadener will depend on how much you need the harness and steering control module. I can do also. What truck ?
The truck is a 2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. I want the best bang for my buck. If you can recommend speakers that are better than the MM's for the same price I am open to checking them out. Same for the amp... I'm open to checking it out. I don't know how much deadener I would need. Would just a simple length x width work for surface area? Looking to do the doors, floor, roof, ceiling, and back wall.

The truck is a 2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. I want the best bang for my buck. If you can recommend speakers that are better than the MM's for the same price I am open to checking them out. Same for the amp... I'm open to checking it out. I don't know how much deadener I would need. Would just a simple length x width work for surface area? Looking to do the doors, floor, roof, ceiling, and back wall.
That's gonna be a lot of deadener prolly $300 + on that alone the speakers I have a few options. Would you like the brands to match ? Or does that matter

Instead of putting 6.5" speakers in the back doors you should buy some q-logic kick panels and put the 6.5" in the kick to get them pointing straight at your face //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I guess if they make them for a 2012 Chevy. I know they make them for my old 2002

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

912dawg

912dawg
Coastal GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
mylows10