New head unit and speaker install

Participant count
  • Participant list

nsd9042

Hey Ive read a lot of conflicting info regarding this and figured that I will ask the pros. So I have a 03 Hyundai Sonata with stock speakers. One speaker doesnt even work. I want to install a new set of speakers and a head unit.

For the head unit I am considering the Sony dsx-s100 or the dsx-s200x, I like the tune tray idea. And for the speakers I am considering the Sony as well the XS-GT1627A for the front and the XS-GT6937A for the rear.

I know this is a real basic system, but right now this is all I can afford and I dont listen to it very loudly either. So my question is... how important is having an amp?

I have read up a bit and some say its ok to run the speakers without an amp and that it will just not be as good, but still better than what I have now. Others say that I can damage the speakers because the speakers are like 35 and 40 RMS and the head unit only puts out 17 RMS.

If I will see a big difference I will hold out and wait to buy an amp specially if it is bad for the speakers. But if you think that I dont need it then I will just go with the setup I am considering.

Please let me know what you think?? also any input regarding changes to my system are most welcome!

Thanks guys

Well,question is how do you like to hear your music?? Loud and distorted,or loud and clear with almost no distortion?? Loud distortion is what damages speakers more than anything..you know stock radio n speakers turned all way up!! What do you hear??? Chopped up words static screetching sounds rubbery bass sounds--Distortion!!!Damaging the speakers.An amp cleans the distortion up and also gives you a boost of power loudness to bring speakers to life and hear the difference in the music/instruments/ voice ect,also seperates the sound stage effect from highs mids and lows.I recommend an amp, a decent 4ch,you can prob pic one up on the bay for 100.oo or less for like an alpine 3550 duo-b is a nice clean amp,and 12v supply.My opinion though.Others may think different?????You can run the speakers until you get an amp,just try not to trash your speakers till then..Keep the bass turned down you know?????

Thanks for the reply guys. My budget is less than 300 and I would prefer it to be around 200. I know this is low but since I get good employee discounts I get good deals. I do not listen to real loud music (probably will be below 50% max volume 90% of the time) and neither do I need a lot of bass. I want to replace my factory audio system so that I get better quality audio. Like I would like to hear crisp and clear audio, like if you listed to jazz. So I definitely don't want a sub in there. Also this is my first install so I don't want to spend too much money on it. Here is a list of parts I am considering.

Head Unit

Kenwood

KDC-BT948HD (not sure if i want the HD radio, still debating about that)

KDC-BT848U

Sony

DSX-S100

DSX-S200X (love the tune tray idea but since most pros say sony ***** i might stay away)

Pioneer as well, havent had a look at the deals yet.

Front Speakers, 6.5"

Kenwood

KFC-P709PS

KFC-1693PS

KFC-1662S

Sony

XS-GT1627A

Kicker

11DS65

11DS652

11KS65

11KS652

Polk Audio

DXi6500

DXi650

Infinity

KAPPA62.9I

KAPPA63.9I

REF6032CF

REF6032SI

KAPPA60.9CS

REF6030CS (these are a bit expensive, unless someone says i really need it I will not go for this)

JBL

GTO628

GTO638

P662

P662S

GTO608C (again, real expensive)

P660C (expensive as well, would like to stay away)

Rear Speakers 6x9"

Kenwood

KFC-6993PS

KFC-6983PS

Sony

XS-GT6937A

Kicker

11DS693

11KS69

11KS693

Polk Audio

DXi690

Infinity

KAPPA692.9I

KAPPA693.9I

REF9632CF

JBL

GTO928

GTO938

I would really like to not put an amplifier in unless you think its really necessary for my application. Main reason behind this is with most of the items I listed above I can achieve my budget, but adding an amplifier will completely blow it because they are so expensive in comparison. Also I am looking to leave in the original wiring, but if I add an amplifier its best to install a heavier gauge wire, and also the install gets more complicated. However if its absolutely necessary I will consider it.

I know its a long reply, but if any of you have used any of these and think they are good please let me know.

Thanks again!!

I have never had any issues with sony head units??I run one today as a matter of fact.Speakers you have chosen are pretty good selection foryour budget.I have always enjoyed Infinity... Kappas are really some great sounding quality speakers..Polk would be my second choice from your list,then jbl,then kickers.I would recommend running new speaker wire when you add the amp.I have a jbl gtq 200 that may interest you for 75 shipped that would be very nice on all your speakers.message me on it,it will push 4 kicker c10 few scratches but still presentable and has clean power.One on ebay rt now.Nice choices on the speaker selections as well.for a beginner.Very nice man.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nsd9042

nsd9042
derwood, md
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
audiobaun