New member, new build questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

B7labelle

First off hello, been doing quite a bit of reading these last few days trying to catch up on car audio. I have a couple of questions I am hoping some folks can shed light on.

My goal is to end up with excellent sound quality and more low end notes coming though my speakers, not something that just goes boom. Though that maybe fun.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do with what I got, and what I need to pick up with an eye on future expandability. Initial budget is in the $300 range, though it can be increased in needed. I'd like to amp the front and rear speakers, as well as a sealed sub. Initially I want to focus on the sub. Amping the other speakers can be a future project with a different budget.

Here's what I've got:

Head unit is a Pioneer DEH-1900MP, 2 preamp outputs @2.2v.

Front speakers are Polk Db521 x2, 45 watts RMS

Rear speakers are JBL GTO938 x2, 100 watts RMS

I believe I should pick up a decent 2 channel amp for the sub, in case I want to add a second sub i the future. Been looking at the Pioneer GM-d8601 (300 watt RMSx1 @4ohms). Haven't decided on a sub yet, but that's not going to be difficult to choose. Will choose something in the 300 watt RMS range.

Given my goal of amping the front and rear, I assume I will need a separate 4 channel amp for the speakers, Correct?

Is the 2.2v head unit output a limiting factor, and at a future date upgrade the head unit to something with4v output? Or should this be my initial focus?

your first goal should be a good box. with limited power, you might consider a sub that is designed to be ported, and get a well designed box. a ****** sub will sound good in a nice box. an expensive sub will sound ****** in a poor box. if you build your own without experience, you should start with a sealed system. alot more room for error. from there, 2 volt preouts is enough on the deck. not optimal, but enough. a good box, amp, sub is a good start. in that order.

HM, thanks for the feedback. I will purchase in that order.

Another question if you don't mind: if I buy a amp that can output 300w RMS, And a sub rated to 200w RMS/500w peak, am I risking blowing the sub?

HM, thanks for the feedback. I will purchase in that order.
Another question if you don't mind: if I buy a amp that can output 300w RMS, And a sub rated to 200w RMS/500w peak, am I risking blowing the sub?
Nah, you're fine.. it's actually better to have more power than to have too little because you can just turn the gain down accordingly. Whereas if you were to underpower it, you could easily blow it by turning the gain up too high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.