New Pioneer HU: 490, 590, 690

JeffreyG
10+ year member

I'm getting a new head unit, my old one ***** b@lls and only has 1 preout.

Right now I have stock speakers, but I will be upgrading soon most likely to Rainbow SLC 265s. I also have a 15" SSD. I'm looking for a decent HU with good ipod controls.

I like the DEH-p490iB, DEH-p590iB, and DEH-p690ub. I don't want to spend needless money, so I'm trying to decide if the 690ub is worth the extra cash.

So far, I don't see a huge difference from the 590iB to the 690ub. Both have similar ipod connections and features. Is there a reason for me to get the 690 that i'm not seeing?

What would you guys do? Are there better HU's available for better prices?

I'm using the USB with a 4GB sandisk thumb drive for a total of about 1200 songs and room for more.

The other models you mentioned are fine just for ipod. (you will need a cable, sold seperately)

That Ipod might not last forever, and I currently have a 120gig maxtor HD hooked to my 6900ub...its worth hedging your bets...if your ipod is lost, stolen, or broken youd still have your ENTIRE music collection in the car

looking at head units as well. Anyone know if that USB connection is in the front or rear of the 690? With how big the little plug in drives are getting, I am wondering is some of my favs can be slapped onto one of those and plugged right in the front or do I need a cable from the rear of the deck?

This is all somewhat new to me so thanks for the replys...

Sorry I havent replied back, I was in Destin.

I recently tried to plug my ipod into a friend's Alpine CDA-9856 with the ipod connector and it read "error-02" on the head unit screen. It may because my ipod is rather old. It is the one without the buttons on the wheel, but the buttons horizantal above the wheel. It looks like this:

3808_19160qPjpt8QmdcL.jpg

Will this generation ipod not work with the head units? because if not, then that changes eveyrthing I was looking fir in a head unit.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Pioneer website says this about the 590ib

*The DEH-P590IB and iPod direct cable connector are compatible with third generation iPods® and newer featuring the dock connector.

Might be able to update your software for it to work. I used that ipod on an 880 with the adapter and had no problems but I did have to update the Ipod software.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.