New to the forum. Need some quick advice

pschu

Hi everyone. As stated in the title I am new to this forum. My question may have been able to be answered by searching, I tried, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, I recently bought the new Alpine Type R 10". SWR-10D4. These new R's are rated at 1000 RMS. My question is about over or under powering. I have found many threads on this but could not really decide what would be best for this sub. I could either be slightly conservative at 900 RMS or over at 1200RMS. I know the older R's were under rated. I don't know about these new ones. IMO the 900 should be fine and safe, but if it is better to overpower to the 1200, please let me know. Sorry this wasn't the shortest of posts. Thanks in advanced for your help!

I'm not really worried about a loudness difference. I'm more interested in how it's going to treat the hardware. Slightly underpowered amp (if hardly at all really) or overpowered sub.

I'm not really worried about a loudness difference. I'm more interested in how it's going to treat the hardware. Slightly underpowered amp (if hardly at all really) or overpowered sub.
The 900w amp should be no issue at all. The 1200w amp would be slightly overpowering the sub (according to the 1000RMS rating), but it would be fine as long as you're sending clean, unclipped power.

We had a pair of the new 12s on 750w each, roughly. Granted they were in a cheap prefab, so not at optimal performance, and they really slammed. I was very impressed. Especially for $160 ish dollar subs. With that being said they should perform well with 900w.

I would opt for the larger amp. You can always dial back the gain if absolutely necessary, but it should be no issue on 1200.

So you think it would be perfectly safe to overpower it by 20% rather than under power by 10%? I don't know how well these Type R's hold up, I don't know if anyone on here can speak from experience? Mixed reviews make decisions so hard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.