Newbie question, is this amount of noise normal?

This sub does not have a pole vent on the back, which I do find a little odd.

I think the whole X line of Sundown Audio does not have a typical pole vent.

There is a spacer between the motor and the frame, the spacer is plastic and has straight cutouts as ports evenly spaced around the diameter.

I wonder if they would have gone with the ct sounds design of using metal cylinders as the spacers, rounded edges are better than straight ones when it comes to air noise.

http://ct-sounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Meso8_banner_1140.jpg

My comment earlier I couldn't watch the video, wasnt' showing up on the phone.. After watching I don't think that is air noise. Those cones are literally barely moving and its higher frequencies even where the air wouldn't be making as much chuffing noise.. Those woofers honestly sound damaged.

to me sounds like theres a spot not glues right.

try pulling up on spider, cone but be easy. use your finger nail .

or you can play it and start putting your finger around the edge and see if you can find it.

my sub does not do that.

You thinking it's the spider flapping around on the inside there?

You know I think this sub was not NIB, there was not any documentation inside the box, and the tape was redone, the box was obviously opened prior to my purchase...

There's nothing visibly obvious, the dust cap looks solid, the top of the spider is solid, there is a ring round the outer edge screwing it in. I can not see anything on the underside of the spider, the basket is solid from that point on down.

I tried putting my hand all round the outer edge to try to dampin the spider, no change in sound.

Kinda seems like it could be the inner lower spider, where it attaches to the pole, maybe that baby is flopping around... not sure...

Got a call in with Woofers Etc, said they'd get me straightened out, waiting on a call back, fingers crossed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Got an email from Bryan at Sundown, he said that much noise is normal when in free air, so I guess it's case closed.

I'm still up in the air about these then, I'm one of those SPL/SQ kinda guys.

Guess I better get that box done and make up my mind //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

As far as not being new in box.... technically you could say every sundown sub is taken out of the box and played before it reaches their customers. Also I do not believe they put any paperwork in the boxes. I'm sure your sub is as bnib as sundown gets.

Got an email from Bryan at Sundown, he said that much noise is normal when in free air, so I guess it's case closed.
I'm still up in the air about these then, I'm one of those SPL/SQ kinda guys.

Guess I better get that box done and make up my mind //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
ok cool.

put it in a box and see what it sounds like.

let us know what you think of it.

This sub does not have a pole vent on the back, which I do find a little odd.
I think the whole X line of Sundown Audio does not have a typical pole vent.

There is a spacer between the motor and the frame, the spacer is plastic and has straight cutouts as ports evenly spaced around the diameter.

I wonder if they would have gone with the ct sounds design of using metal cylinders as the spacers, rounded edges are better than straight ones when it comes to air noise.

http://ct-sounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Meso8_banner_1140.jpg

Some of Sundown's subs have pole vents, others do not. Other brands may have the same thing. Therefore, those vents on the side of the drivers is basically what keeps the coil cool....which is the pole vent's job is. This isn't a new thing, been around for awhile now.

My x15's have the same thing.

Cut the wood for my tline today!

c4br

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.