Newbie question regarding basic configuration and amplifiers

Participant count
  • Participant list

harlod

Hi, the factory unit in my 2001 GMC Sierra C3 Extended Cab is losing audio and the speakers also sound like #&@**, so looking to replace both the head unit and speakers. The front doors will take 6.5" speakers and the rear doors take 4x6 speakers. Just going to best buy and listening to various speakers I think I preferred the sound from the JBL GX600C front speakers and GX642 rear speakers to the other models in the store. Also looking at the Pioneer DEH-X6800BT head unit. I am looking for excellent audio quality but generally don't play at very high volumes. Will I get noticeably better sound quality if I install a separate amp? If so, I am confused about what I would need to drive these speakers. I did look at the amplifier faq but not sure what the practical implications of the different classes, wattage, etc are to my situation.

The JBL GX are great entry level speakers. IIRC you can make 6.5s work in there.

The JBLs do like power, but for a simple install I would recommend going with the Alpine 445U for power, leave the rears of the headunit and bridge the front components to the Alpine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.