noob power wire question

dezahp

bay area
This is my very first system that I've ever attempted to do. I was wondering can I run both of my 2x amps straight to my battery terminal with fuses for each at the beginning of their power wires? Is it ok to do this and how should I go about it?

I have some more 4 gauge power wire left so I would like to use it to run my 2nd amp to my battery. I don't really want to go buy 1/0 gauge power wire, distribution block, and fuses (or just get a fused d-block but someone told me it's better to get a non-fused d-block.

Here is a list of my entire system that I am installing.

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JECAM2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 MTX Audio Terminator Series TNE212D 1,200-Watt Dual 12-Inch Sub Enclosure

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HYDE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier (mono block)

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NLNY14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Soundstream TN4.900D Tarantula Nano 900 Watt Class D 4-Channel Car Amplifier Amp (4-way channel amp)

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBGIQ62/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 JVC CSV628 6.5-Inch 2-Way Coaxial Speakers 250W Peak (Rear coaxial speakers)

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VBIEZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System (Front components)

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CIJBKK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 KnuKonceptz Kolossus 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit

edit: I also just realized something but is one 4 gauge OFC power wire enough to run my 2 amps? Cause if I do that, then I guess I don't have to run another power wire from the battery terminal to my 2nd amp. So, I guess if my OFC 4 gauge is adequate enough to handle my 2 amps, then I can just get a d-block(is fused d-block better or a non-fused and then fuse the wire after?) So, then I can just turn my first amp's OFC 4 gauge power wire to run from the battery terminal to the d-block and then have my 2 amps connect from their with 4 gauge as well. (I think I read someone say that you only need fuses if your wiring is changing in size from in to out. True? So, if I'm able to do this then I don't need fused d-block or fuses after on the wires right? Since it would be 1x OFC 4 gauge IN and 2x OFC 4 gauge OUT) This would be easier I guess but I want to be absolutely positive that the OFC 4 gauge power wire is more than capable so I don't have to worry about it. But I only want to do this if one OFC 4g power wire is about support my whole system and 2 amps. Someone told me OFC wires are much better and conduct electricity much better than CCA/KCA so I was wondering if my ofc 4 gauge can support everything without having to worry about anything.

If single OFC 4 gauge isn't enough then pretty much means I would have to get a 1/0 gauge power wire I guess. I don't want to do that though and go buy 1/0 wire. I rather just use my remaining OFC 4 gauge wire to run a second power wire from my battery to my 2nd amp.

Oh and I don't know if it matters but the Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier I have is listed at 500 watts but these amps have actually been rated higher for a lot people from like 620-650. I'm not sure what mine is so I would have to try and find out.

The tn4 is rated at 2x40 amp fuses and the rockford 50 amp fuse recommended so a total of 140 amp draw. I personally have never worked with knukoncept wire but if it true 4 gauge ofc it should handle that kind of draw. I would fuse off the battery up front then fuse the wire after distribution block to each amp to the respective amplifiers draw. If you have plenty of 4 gauge ofc lying around I personally would run 2 runs of the 4 gauge ofc to the distribution block from the front, which would be equivalent to 0 gauge, then a run of 4 gauge to each amp from distribution block with each amps respective fuse recommendation in line after the distribution block.

This is my very first system that I've ever attempted to do. I was wondering can I run both of my 2x amps straight to my battery terminal with fuses for each at the beginning of their power wires? Is it ok to do this and how should I go about it?
I have some more 4 gauge power wire left so I would like to use it to run my 2nd amp to my battery. I don't really want to go buy 1/0 gauge power wire, distribution block, and fuses (or just get a fused d-block but someone told me it's better to get a non-fused d-block.

I had my installer guy run 0AWG cables from my battery's + and - posts back to a distro block for both + and -, then 4AWG from the distributions block to each of my two amps.

Never skimp on the power and grounds!

The tn4 is rated at 2x40 amp fuses and the rockford 50 amp fuse recommended so a total of 140 amp draw. I personally have never worked with knukoncept wire but if it true 4 gauge ofc it should handle that kind of draw. I would fuse off the battery up front then fuse the wire after distribution block to each amp to the respective amplifiers draw. If you have plenty of 4 gauge ofc lying around I personally would run 2 runs of the 4 gauge ofc to the distribution block from the front, which would be equivalent to 0 gauge, then a run of 4 gauge to each amp from distribution block with each amps respective fuse recommendation in line after the distribution block.
Actually 2x 4 gauge wires is equivalent to a 2 gauge wire not a 1/0

As for the OP, you have some pretty low power equipment (nothing wrong with that BTW) 4 gauge OFC is plenty big enough, no problems there.

fuse disb block not needed but wouldn't hurt either.

Personally I would ditch the rear coaxials, ditch the alpine fronts, get a network capable Pioneer headunit (not much over $100 for one), buy some raw drivers for the front and run an active setup.

You will have better sound for sure

I had my installer guy run 0AWG cables from my battery's + and - posts back to a distro block for both + and -, then 4AWG from the distributions block to each of my two amps.

Never skimp on the power and grounds!
And never skimp on ignoring this idiot. Do not listen to a word he has to say, trust me.

As for the OP, you have some pretty low power equipment (nothing wrong with that BTW) 4 gauge OFC is plenty big enough, no problems there.

Personally I would ditch the rear coaxials, ditch the alpine fronts, get a network capable Pioneer headunit (not much over $100 for one), buy some raw drivers for the front and run an active setup.

No disrespect but 2 runs of 4 gauge, depending on length and what type of wire you are running, falls between the equivalent of 1 to 0 gauge awg. Some calculators will classify it equal to 0 and others will give it a 1 gauge equality. Just depends on where you look.

But eitherway, to the op eitherway you can run the 4 gauge individually to each amp or both 4 gauge runs to distribution block to split to each amp or honestly if it is good ofc cable it more than likely handle the load of both of those amps. Just make sure you fuse them off the battery and then again off the distribution block to be safe. Currently I run 4 gauge ofc to a 1600 watt 150 amp fused monoblock amp and it stands up just fine to that load with no problems.

Well I think I bought a good amp kit and lots of people gave good reviews on it. I tried to make sure I got a good amp kit so I wouldn't have to ever worry about wiring so I'm pretty sure it should be true OFC.

Run 2 runs of 4 gauge wire from a distribution block to the battery? Like combining them together? How would I do that? I don't think I have enough of 4 gauge to do this but I would like to try to understand how. If running another 4 gauge wire to the the front, wouldn't a distribution block be unnecessary then? I can just run that straight to my second amp instead no?

Well my rear coaxials are just regular coaxials I got so I could fill the back for passengers since I have a SUV. I already have and bought all of my hardware and fine with it. I don't have a high budget where I can afford to get really high end audio gear. I'm not an audio expert either so raw drivers and active setup would not be good for me. Honestly, I think I'm satisfied with my setup. I also already have a head unit, Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX, which I got really, really lucky and basically got a steal on ebay.

Yea you wouldn't really need the distribution block at that point in your case. In reality I believe you will be fine with the 1 run of 4 gauge ofc to a distro block. Then splitting to either amp from there. Just like I said fuse off the battery up front for the total amperage draw of both amps then each individually after the distro block for the recommended manufacturer fuse ratings of each amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.