Ok, I have a noob question....

UPCguy
10+ year member

Ohio
Ok, so I am a noob, but I was looking at some Pioneer speakers for my 1995 Chevy Beretta. The fronts use 4x6, the back takes 6x9. So I found some Pioneers, the ones in the back would fit if I used the aftermarket grilles. But the guy said the ones I wanted for the front were "top mount only". This a noob question, but what does that mean?

My front speakers now are mounted in the kick panels, and they are like under the carpet. The rear ones, I would just have to use the aftermarket grilles instead of the factory grilles.

The models I am looking at specifically are these....

Front 4x6----Pioneer TS-A4670R

Rear 6x9-----Pioneer TS-A6991R or the Pioneer TS-A6981R

According to crutchfield.com, my car will accept 4x6 or 4" in the front. So if these speakers would not work, anyone have any recommendations on some other 4x6 or 4" Pioneers that would work? Or how could I make those work? My system is currently all stock, except my head unit, which is a Pioneer DEH-1500. So kind of would like to keep it all in the same brand/line. Thanks.

By top-mount the guy means the drop in from the top I think, rather than in a window deck, where they might be bolted in from the bottom. If Crutch says they fit, I can assure you they do, but if you really want it to sound good, you might see how much a shop would charge you to mount some 5 1/4 components. It would involve a bit of cutting, but as long as you leave them when you sell the car and they don't screw it up, nobody will know and they will sound WAY better than 4x6's. The best choice would be 6.5 comps, but then space can become an issue. Some good quality coaxes would be good too. The point I am getting at is that round speakers > oval ones. That said, I had some mb quart 6x9's back in 2000 that sounded pretty darn good. I would get: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-we25zuPENfY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=065S45 and http://www.crutchfield.com/S-we25zuPENfY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&I=065S95

Or try:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-we25zuPENfY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=20605DS46 and http://www.crutchfield.com/S-we25zuPENfY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=20655KS69

Those will drop in and should sound pretty good. I really don't recomend Pioneer speakers, all thier coaxes and 6x9's are like "4-way" and so hissy in the tweet they will saw your ear off. Go with the Bostons or the Kickers

Ok thanks guys. I had looked at Infinity Kappas. I am thinking about upgrading later on, but the price and performance on the Pioneers looked good too, so I was thinking about those. My dad has done audio for a while, but he has not done a whole lot of car audio, some but says he does not know as much about it. He's set up and run sound systems in churches for years though. So he was saying I should have the brands matched up for it to sound the best. Ok, thanks everyone. I may look at these others. Anyone listened to the Infinity Kappas? They sound good? Thanks.

P.S. On the component setup that's the thing, I am not sure how long I will keep the car. I don't want to sink money into it, then lose the $$, or get something for Christmas and have someone else lose the $$. I like the car, but it's just a base, no tach or anything, though I wonder if I could legally change to a full guage cluster and swap the odometer roll from my gauge cluster to the full gauge cluster. If I can do that, I plan to keep it a while probably. I really like the car, and it's paid off. And who has a cool Beretta, much less one that is even taken care of? Be something different. If I can't do that, I may sell it later on, and get maybe another Beretta, but like a Z26 model with the full gauge cluster, factory body kit, etc, and then I could probably just swap regular speakers out easier.

In car audio, matching brands is not really as important as in home audio. The Kappas are good speakers, but the tweeters are pretty freeking bright, and they are a bit lacking in the midbass dept IMO compared to kicker's or bostons.

I agree with that. Even though I am a newb as well, I know going from my stock tape deck with am/fm to even the lowly deh 1500 made a big difference. Like I got better bass and everything. I was actually looking online, because I thought about upgrading my head unit. On crutchfield, you can get a Pioneer deh 4700, it looks nice. Flip down face, plays mp3 cds, as well as having controls for satellite radio should you wish to add that later. It has 2 outputs I believe, but not one for sub. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But crutchfiled.com had it and if I am not mistaken, they send you the install kits and wiring harnesses you need. So you might look at something like that or better. When I got my 1500, it was basically for the price.

my first car was a beretta.. I went with a 4 x 6 plate made by Clarion.. it had a 4" and a tweeter on a plate that could mount in the factory location.. the tweeters were aimable and that made the soundstage really clear and deep.. I liked them and they were cheap- you're lucky you have speakers in the kick panels..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.