outdoor off car head unit

uuccbb

This relates to car audio because I am working off of a car head unit... I am setting up an outdoor speaker system and I am going to hook it up to a car head unit which is already installed in my hot tub (my hot tub has speakers and stuff)... The head unit I am working from is the Sony CDX-CA720X... I want to set up a really powerful system outside and all I came up with so far is to get two speakers made by TIC (Outdoor Omni, Rock, Patio, Wireless Speakers, Landscape Lighting) - the specific model that caught my eye was the 300 watt TFS15 stone speaker and one TFS50 stone sub-woofer speaker which is 250 watts (passive)... I seriously appreciate any advice as to whether or not I am on the right track and also info and specific suggestions with regard to the speakers, amplifiers (I have no idea where to begin with amplifiers), or anything at all. The constraints of my project are limited to stone/rock speakers (for aesthetics) and I want to spend roughly $1000, but not more than $1500. ANY help is most appreciated.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

well i have a bike with a h/u speakers and sub. h/u running my speakers and amp for sub. bascially would be the same install as in a car but battery would just drain with no way to recharge unless u keep it up with the recharge.if its just for ur tub at home u can get a ac to dc power supply and use that to power up everything without worrying about a battery.

If that sub is passive how are you gonna power it? and the speakers which are 100w or more will only be getting like 20w from a car cd player

This project confuses me. I guess if there's no steering wheel involved, Im lost. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

But seriously, this is gonna be a wireless setup? It must withstand rain? Snow? Amplifiers outside as well? Approx what is your goal for this project... performance-wise, sound-wise, number of speakers you want, is this for music or movies/surround sound, etc etc...

This is an out of the ordinary project for this group. The more info you feed us, the better our responses can and will be.

ok, not to hard here. Run rca outs into a dj/pro audio amplifier. Then obviously you will have to find a way to protect the amplifier though. THere are alot of options out there. Does the sub have a built in low pass crossover? If so then just send some wattage to it. If not you are gonna have to get a passive crossover for it or get a electronic crossover system, also pro audio/dj, and some seperate amps for the fullrange speakers and sub(s)

My situation: I have a hot tub in my backyard. It has a compartment in it which contains the Sony CDX-CA720X head unit which is typically installed in cars. As of now, I intend to put two amplifiers in the hot tub compartment which the head unit is already in; one amplifier for two speakers I wish to get and the other amplifier for a sub woofer. The two speakers and sub woofer must be encased by a stone/rock to aesthetially keep up the 'theme' of my backyard. The stone/rock encased speakers are built to withstand the elements of weather. I am going to connect the components, speakers and sub woofer using wire specifically made to withstand the elements of weather as well. I am looking to install a system which will be sufficient in coverage for 1/4 to 1/2 an acre of land.

At the moment, I have the following leading ideas as far as components, speakers, and sub woofer goes: two speakers: TFS15 (300 watt) speakers made by TIC (http://www.ticcorp.com); sub woofer: TFS50 (250 watt, passive)- also made by TIC

Because my current head unit (Sony CDX-CA720X) lacks power, I am going to purchase an amplifier that will support the 300 watt speakers, should I purchase them. I am unsure which amplifier to buy (channels, watts, ohms, rms, etc.).

I understand that I need an additional amplifier for my sub woofer because it is passive, however, once again, I am unsure which amplifier is appropriate.

ANY information or advice or any help whatsoever is most appreciated as this is a very important project for me.

Thank you all so much.

The speakers you are driving are probably 8 ohms since most home audio equipment is 6-8ohms. You'll need to find this out. A quick google of them shows 8 ohms. Car audio equipment is typically 2-4ohms. You can drive 8 ohm speakers with car amplifiers but you will likely be getting half of their 4 ohm rated power. If you were to hook 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel this would drop the resistance down to 4 ohms, but each speaker would be playing the same sound so it wouldn't be stereo. This is fine for subs but for the highs you will probably want stereo sound.

As mentioned above you should be looking into home theater/dj amplifier equipment since these will run off of 120v AC power and typically are made for 6-8ohm speaker loads. To use car amps you would need a 12v DC transformer that can handle the load and they're not cheap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.