Pioneer AVH-2550NEX changing volume while reading text messages in Android Auto

Participant count
  • Participant list

Shadoe77

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
My wife's car (2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring) has a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head unit installed. When reading a text message with Android Auto, the volume starts out fine, but sometimes (not every time), will change halfway through reading the message. When this happens, the volume is too low for the message to be heard, so she, at best, gets to hear half of the message.

After some troubleshooting, I have come to believe that the volume level is changing to match the level of the music app that is playing (usually Pandora). I have confirmed this by muting the music audio and then sending a message to the phone. While the message is being read back, the volume starts off fine, but sometimes goes completely mute and a little "Muted" icon appears on the left side of the screen. Changing the volume of the music affects the severity of this problem. Unfortunately, setting the music volume to a level where the text messages remain audible would make the music too loud.

Her phone is a Google Pixel 7 running Android 13. I have tried multiple cables. I have tried using my own phone (also a Pixel 7). I have tried using the AA Wireless dongle I use in my own car, which connects to a Sony XAV-AX100. In each case, the issue persists. I do not have this problem with the head unit in my car.

She's about at her wit's end with this thing and I'd rather not invest in a new head unit, if at all possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...