Polk Audio SR 6500

I work for one of a handful of online retailers that sell those and I got a chance to hear these at a show and they are pretty **** good. If interested in buying a pair you probably want to buy authorized though because they won't honor the warranty supposedly.

Juan

I listened/played with them a bit when my rep first showed them to me several months back. Overall pleasant sound, fair midbass, but with SRP of $750+ I just didnt feel it. If the price was cut a bit, they would be an excellent choice and I could see myself selling a fair amount of them.

Why does everyone complain about the price? Most comps retail for like $1000 and the usually doesn't stop anyone?

Like the Z6's, 165K2P's, etc. Or is it because they don't live up to the price tag?

I am dyin' to get ahold of a pair cause I really want to mess around w/ them!

-Nick-

Yeah, the same thing happens with the JL W7. People who haven't listened to it just go "well, it costs too much". What magainze writer bashes a Ferrari for costing to much? A Corvette Z06 might keep up, but it doesn't have that kind of mystique.

They are good speakers, they can leverage their home and aftermarket side the sway some other guys can't (although the examples you mention are perfect examples of home/car audio companies and the resulting synergy... same reason JL audio went into home audio).

Juan

Why does everyone complain about the price? Most comps retail for like $1000 and the usually doesn't stop anyone?
Like the Z6's, 165K2P's, etc. Or is it because they don't live up to the price tag?

I am dyin' to get ahold of a pair cause I really want to mess around w/ them!

-Nick-

Its unfortunate for them, as I certainly see their potential, but the generic name steers alot of people away. If they were werent as mass marketed as they are, I think they would be alot more appealing regardless of price.

So more distribution equals less brand appeal? I would beg to differ. People think quality when they think of Polk Audio (in sort of a Toyota sort of way). I don't see a ton of advertising, but they are one of the top three brands for home audio speakers (with Bose and Klipsh I guess the other two from what I read).

I would run some of these in the car, they are very nice and if you can find a dealer who is ready to deal, they are worth the price of admission. Remember they have very limited unauthorized distribution so the percieved value (or high price if you look at it that way) is due to not having to many source to get it. Nobody says the same thing about Pioneer stuff for example because its available close to sheet.

Juan

Its unfortunate for them, as I certainly see their potential, but the generic name steers alot of people away. If they were werent as mass marketed as they are, I think they would be alot more appealing regardless of price.

So more distribution equals less brand appeal? I would beg to differ. People think quality when they think of Polk Audio (in sort of a Toyota sort of way). I don't see a ton of advertising, but they are one of the top three brands for home audio speakers (with Bose and Klipsh I guess the other two from what I read).
I would run some of these in the car, they are very nice and if you can find a dealer who is ready to deal, they are worth the price of admission. Remember they have very limited unauthorized distribution so the percieved value (or high price if you look at it that way) is due to not having to many source to get it. Nobody says the same thing about Pioneer stuff for example because its available close to sheet.

Juan

Im not speaking about the masses, but more the "audiophiles" if you will. The people that tend to lean towards lines such as Zapco,Arc,Rainbow,ID,Dyn,Morel,etc.. these are the people that generally wouldnt go to Circuit City/Best buy for a new set of comps. For the general consumer, then yes the appeal is there, same reason why people are still buying entry level Sony HUs. They know the name as a branded household one thats been around for years.

Im well aware of sheet cost on them and I dont see my regular customers dropping the coin on em after the markup is entered. Although this is speaking of me,my area,my general customers. Not claiming this to be everywhere.

So what if a small dealer carries them? Does that make Polk Audio better at that point?

Unfortunately people aren't rational when it comes to the stuff they buy for their cars or the cars themselves. No offense to Zapco or Arc, but what kind of speaker design team do they have behind them? Polk Audio and Boston for example have a shitload of R & D because they spread it out over a ton of different proudct. Ditto Harman (JBL and Infinity car). Sure its "mass market" but when you have hundreds instead of handfuls of engineers, it is bound to trickle down.

At this point Polk is running a deal where if you buy them and don't like them you can send them back for a full refund (at the dealer level). How often do you see anyone taking product back without a gun to their heads?

Juan

Im not speaking about the masses, but more the "audiophiles" if you will. The people that tend to lean towards lines such as Zapco,Arc,Rainbow,ID,Dyn,Morel,etc.. these are the people that generally wouldnt go to Circuit City/Best buy for a new set of comps. For the general consumer, then yes the appeal is there, same reason why people are still buying entry level Sony HUs. They know the name as a branded household one thats been around for years.
Im well aware of sheet cost on them and I dont see my regular customers dropping the coin on em after the markup is entered. Although this is speaking of me,my area,my general customers. Not claiming this to be everywhere.

So what if a small dealer carries them? Does that make Polk Audio better at that point?
Unfortunately people aren't rational when it comes to the stuff they buy for their cars or the cars themselves. No offense to Zapco or Arc, but what kind of speaker design team do they have behind them? Polk Audio and Boston for example have a shitload of R & D because they spread it out over a ton of different proudct. Ditto Harman (JBL and Infinity car). Sure its "mass market" but when you have hundreds instead of handfuls of engineers, it is bound to trickle down.

At this point Polk is running a deal where if you buy them and don't like them you can send them back for a full refund (at the dealer level). How often do you see anyone taking product back without a gun to their heads?

Juan

I thinking your taking this the wrong way. I understand your point completely. Im speaking of the viewpoint of my general customers, not of my own.

If a smaller dealer carries them? No, but rather if the smaller dealer carries them and the big box does not.

I get it. Its hard for people to think of the Corvette as the same brand as a Aveo. Polks downfall is distribution, which is why some smaller dealers won't touch them.

Juan

I thinking your taking this the wrong way. I understand your point completely. Im speaking of the viewpoint of my general customers, not of my own.
If a smaller dealer carries them? No, but rather if the smaller dealer carries them and the big box does not.

Juan
I would dissagree with this statement 100% , large companys R&D usually consists of Spy's that steal ideas and designs from little companies and call them their own....Morel (for example)is a small company that knows 10X more than the peeps at Infinity and or Polk on how to make great SQ,I could also use ten other smaller companies but for the sake of argument ill use Morel.

So it doesn't trickle down...IMO

Goodyear tire is also a great example of BIG THIEVES from smaller companies

As for the Polks being a great speaker,I haven't owned a set but they got excellent reviews at Car Audio Magazine.

I always picture in my head when a magazine gets a item for review and that product thats being reviewed is also made by an advertiser that advertises in the magazine (like Polk is) IF they did get a poor review they would risk loosing advertising dollars by that MFG and full page magazine ads cost as much as a mid size Beamer...Take that with a grain of salt

I would dissagree with this statement 100% , large companys R&D usually consists of Spy's that steal ideas and designs from little companies and call them their own....Morel (for example)is a small company that knows 10X more than the peeps at Infinity and or Polk on how to make great SQ,I could also use ten other smaller companies but for the sake of argument ill use Morel.So it doesn't trickle down...IMO

Goodyear tire is also a great example of BIG THIEVES from smaller companies

As for the Polks being a great speaker,I haven't owned a set but they got excellent reviews at Car Audio Magazine.

I always picture in my head when a magazine gets a item for review and that product thats being reviewed is also made by an advertiser that advertises in the magazine (like Polk is) IF they did get a poor review they would risk loosing advertising dollars by that MFG and full page magazine ads cost as much as a mid size Beamer...Take that with a grain of salt
I don't think I nec. agree w/ this but I could be wrong. Why would a company w/ the brains of over a 100 workers steal the ideas of a company who only has the brain compacity of 10 workers!? Out of the 100 people I would imagine they would be able to come up w/ better ideas then the rest of the people!?

Just like Willly Wonka....They tried to steal the Biggest mans recipes for his choclate.....and they were all small brands.....It's all science //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I could see the smaller brands trying to creep up on the bigger brands....and I do get your point on the beemer statement. But it isn't nec. true.

-Nick-

I don't think I nec. agree w/ this but I could be wrong. Why would a company w/ the brains of over a 100 workers steal the ideas of a company who only has the brain compacity of 10 workers!? Out of the 100 people I would imagine they would be able to come up w/ better ideas then the rest of the people!?
Just like Willly Wonka....They tried to steal the Biggest mans recipes for his choclate.....and they were all small brands.....It's all science //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I could see the smaller brands trying to creep up on the bigger brands....and I do get your point on the beemer statement. But it isn't nec. true.

-Nick-

Happens every day and vice versa..Theres exceptions to every rule,but no way no how does Harmon or Bose know how to make a better speaker than Focal,Seas,Morel etc

All of companies in which are a fraction of the size of Harmon and or Bose...

Does Ferrari make a better car than Chevy,or Toyota?

Fvckin A right they do....

Does a 300C resemble a Bentley?Whis is better?Which is a bigger Co?

Does that new POS Caddy 2 seater car resemble a Benz SL model?

I could go on and on

Bigger companys steal **** all the time

Fvck Willy Wonka,he stole the ummpaloompas ideas anyways

sorry ass midgets

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.