Port Tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list

uzy
10+ year member

O
After looking through 20 pages of threads i cant seem to find my answer, so dont blame me for not trying to find it myself lol

anyways im getting very confused with all the tuning frequency.

lets say i make a box to the spec of my driver which is ment to be 3.0cubes @ 34Hz, (this is from the RE internet site) would this mean that at that tuning the driver performs best for all types of music?? what kind of tuning would i need if i listen to mainly hip hop, as i found out that most of the frequencies involved in the songs are are from 35 and above, all the music doesent seem to be consistent with the freqency used in the songs and they have a few main frequencies used.

also im lead to beleive that playing songs with diferent frequencies that your box is not tuned to will damage the driver, how can you protect against, as you cant be sure as to what frequencies are being used in each the many thousands of songs you have

thanks for the help

The tuning freq is only the freq at which the majority of the output is coming from the movement of air in the port rather than the movement of the cone of the driver. You can't infer anything more than that from knowing only the tuning freq of the enclosure. It tells you nothing at all about how the system will sound at that freq. You also can't just arbitrarily pick a freq and tune to that expecting the sub to sound good.

You only have to really worry about damage when playing frequencies below the tuning freq of the enclosure at higher power levels. The enclosure doesn't provide much of a spring for the driver below tuning and the output from the port is out of phase with the movement of the cone causing a lot of cancellation. The result is the cone flopping around and possibly hitting its excursion limit which will cause damage. The fix for this is either don't play really low freqs really oud or get a subsonic filter which will attenuate the really low freqs and keep this from being a problem.

The tuning freq is only the freq at which the majority of the output is coming from the movement of air in the port rather than the movement of the cone of the driver. You can't infer anything more than that from knowing only the tuning freq of the enclosure. It tells you nothing at all about how the system will sound at that freq. You also can't just arbitrarily pick a freq and tune to that expecting the sub to sound good.
You only have to really worry about damage when playing frequencies below the tuning freq of the enclosure at higher power levels. The enclosure doesn't provide much of a spring for the driver below tuning and the output from the port is out of phase with the movement of the cone causing a lot of cancellation. The result is the cone flopping around and possibly hitting its excursion limit which will cause damage. The fix for this is either don't play really low freqs really oud or get a subsonic filter which will attenuate the really low freqs and keep this from being a problem.
so if i was to to build a box according to the specs on the RE internet site would i get a good sound for listening to hip hop, or what is the best tuning frequency for getting loud and a decent amout of spl i guess it would be between 35-40Hz??? am i right, oh yea whats a decent tuning frequency for listening to hip hop

so if i was to to build a box according to the specs on the RE internet site would i get a good sound for listening to hip hop, or what is the best tuning frequency for getting loud and a decent amout of spl i guess it would be between 35-40Hz??? am i right, oh yea whats a decent tuning frequency for listening to hip hop
It depends on the sub. There is no one best tuning freq that works for all subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.