portable gps units (NOT HU)

Participant count
  • Participant list

air_odie
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
FLA USA
I am looking between purchasing a quest 2 or 2720 made by garmin for use in many of my vehicles including my motorcycle and was just wondering if anyone has either of these two units and your opinion on them.

I will be writing a nice review on which ever one I get but just checking if someone has any input.

Select a GPS based on ergonomics...you're going to be using it a lot, so you want to make sure the menus and buttons are intuitive for you.

Most 12-channel receivers are very similar in performance. If you want WAAS capability, that's something else to consider.

I work at Circuit City and have experience with Garmin, Magellan, and TomTom on a daily basis. My top two choices as far as GPS would be the Garmin 2720 as well as the TomTom Go700.

Both are loaded with tons of features. I like the TomTom because of the 2.5GB internal HD, ease of use, and the ability to connect hands-free to any Blue-Tooth enabled phone (or other Blue-Tooth accessories). If you're on the road with the TomTom and notice a restaurant or hotel you want to call...you just select it and you can talk hands-free through the TomTom unit itself. I think it's a great feature. The Garmin 2720 is just LOADED with lots, but no blue-tooth. Both of those would be my top choices, but for the fact of the ease of use, Internal HD, and blue-tooth...and it retails for $200 less...my personal choice would be the TomTom Go700.

NG

problem for me is a motorcycle is VERY hard on anything. It needs to be able to handle weather, vibration, shock, sun and brightness, as well as a host of other things that most people are unaware of such as secure mounting cradles and accessibility with mc gloves on.

The two units I am talking about above are pretty fit for the challenge I will lead them through, it won't be too bad in the truck but out on the bike its gonna be more then what any tom tom is designed for but they are a very nice unit.

Do a Google search for RAM Mounts...they have probably the largest selection of mobile mounting systems I've come across. They'll have a way for you to securely mount the thing on your bike...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.