Ported design sounding like sealed ... Is this possible ?

he is asking if its possible to combine the best of both worlds and get the sound of sealed and the output of a ported enclosure (correct me if im wrong)
and to answer you question the closest ive come is the box in my avatar //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/woot.gif.aaa6090e619a97b6090d16dd863c5a69.gif it kicks ass
Yeah but .... As every guy loves to hear ..... " It's fuggin HUGE " !!!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif only drawback...ive never heard of one being used for anything larger then a 10 since it is massive took most of a sheet of mdf

I thought the thread was straight forward.

He wants to know if its possible to built a ported box that will have the response of a sealed box...

I beleive the answer to this is NO.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever been lucky enough to hear a slot loaded design such as this one , sound as fast and clean as a sealed design ? I have a customer that longs for the extra output and bump of a ported design , but he wants ZERO overhang , perfect tone , and perfect transients ..... Sheesh !

I've heard some **** GOOD slot loaded enclosures , but never one as accurate or fast as a great sealed sub with lots of power on it .....

Thanks
What you are asking for is more a function of how well you are capable of identifying a subwoofer that is both:

1) truly compatible with vented enclosures

2)capable of true linear (read: low-distortion) performance

Bearing in mind that basically every manufacturer is going to claim "our sub will work great in a ported box!", you have to dig a little deeper.

The reality is, when a manufacturer designs a subwoofer that will "work in either sealed or vented enclosures", what they are really doing is compromising that subwoofer so that it works OK - but inherently not great - in either enclosure.

Most fundamentally, high motor strength, low Qes (and Qts), higher Fs subwoofers work best in vented enclosures (and there are ones on the market with good, linear motor and suspension curves!).

And conversely, for a sealed box sub, you want a low Fs sub with a lower motor strength (so as not to raise the system resonance, in box)... higher Qes and Qts. And in this case, you really want one with a long throw (hopefully linear) motor and suspension, because that's your only means to loudness. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you have a "middle of the road" Fs, "middle of the road" motor strength", and a "middle of the road" Q-values, it's easy to see how that's not really ideal for a vented box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

What you want, to impress your customer, is to:

1) design them an enclosure that suits their frequency-response, and loudness goals, fitting in a space they can live with - a slot vented box sounds like a winner.

2) make sure you get them into a subwoofer that's truly ideal in a vented enclosure, with low distortion / high linearity.

I have a final comment too...

"Sound quality" is very much relative to the listener's experiences.

I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with a customer who claims they want it "loud AND clean" - and what they really mean is "make my doors blow open".

Just something to ponder. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Oh - what I somehow failed completely to mention:

Yes, there can be a small difference in SQ, accreditable to the box - but ONLY in that the port and cone aren't quite "in phase" with each other - and since we're talking about cycles of around 60 cycles per second (for 60hz, example), that isn't going to impart much on quality.

...lots of high-end home audio manufacturers use vented enclosures, to back up their $80,000/pair reference systems.

But yes - you CAN make a vented box sound ugly... by putting the wrong sub in it.

And you can make a sealed box even sound bad... but there's more "sealed box compatible" subs on the market, by virtue of simply that they are cheaper to make, generally.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.