Possible frankensub??

Umphism

So I took my massive audio hippo 122 out of my box and noticed black rubber/plastic in my box and started looking at my sub. Looks like the voice coil is rubbing? I called massive and they said im not covered by warranty since I bought it off Amazon. They gave me 2 choices either pay $200 for a trade in or buy a recone kit from them for $130. My question is can I put different parts on my motor and basket? I really like the surrounds on the sundown subs...so would I be able to use sundown parts on my hippo 122? Is there any parts that are compatible? I wanna get my hands dirty
f6b092c634ff092a2d454559ba91cad8.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

the stuff you found in the box was likely chunks of that junk ca glue flaking off the former. run it till it dies. after that you can build it with other parts

So I took my massive audio hippo 122 out of my box and noticed black rubber/plastic in my box and started looking at my sub. Looks like the voice coil is rubbing? I called massive and they said im not covered by warranty since I bought it off Amazon. They gave me 2 choices either pay $200 for a trade in or buy a recone kit from them for $130. My question is can I put different parts on my motor and basket? I really like the surrounds on the sundown subs...so would I be able to use sundown parts on my hippo 122? Is there any parts that are compatible? I wanna get my hands dirty
f6b092c634ff092a2d454559ba91cad8.jpg

I had the same problem with brand new Massive subs ...reason I got rid of all their stuff I had...I sold the last amp yesterday ...

I know its a 3 inch coil
The coils will have different lengths ...then figure on which VC you need...If your doing the recone yourself...You'll need to make sure the basket is well cleaned for the new glue to stick die grinders work well...just properly shim and center coil to prevent rub...

Hopefully the specs are the same (fingers crossed)
With thev measured specs 3" diameter coil and ?? length you should be able to find a match...length is very important or they will bottom out...if too long ..or not perform properly if too short...they are designed to react with the subs internal motor magnetic force ...

I believe its 4inch? I tried searching and I can't seem to find it.. Could someone help me find the specs? And possibly help find a drop in recone kit that's compatible with the hippo 122

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.