Possible Problem with X-overs

Participant count
  • Participant list

iApex
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tampa
Well after running all the wire for my new system this weekend I hooked up just the tweeters from my Alpine SPX-13REF comps to see if they were working.

Well they worked but I noticed when i was jamming out that the x-overs were getting really bright under the metal piece in the middle. I'd say it would look close to like it was about to catch on fire. but the strange thing was, it wasn't hot at all.

I'm running alpine spx-13REF comps, on a Kenwood KAC-7204 16 gauge wire and an alpine iDA-x100 HU.

I know the amp has more power than i need but i figured that if i turned it down i would be fine. Was i wrong? are they supposed to do that? if not what could be causing it?

How about today? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Anyone know?

is there a bulb-type fuse in that crossover?

maybe a pic. of the xover can help you get some replies.

It has something to do with you only connecting the tweeters on that 2-way passives, but I can't explain the circuitry though.

let's wait for the more knowledgeables around here.

Picture016.jpg

idk what kind of fuse is in there and i can't take them off to check. Maybe you can use the model number i provided in the OP to get more information/specs.

maybe once the woofers are hooked up too it will be better, i should know this evening.

Everything is wired like in this diagram showing for 1 amp.

1hs9eg.png

I got the same set. The flash is from the bulb thats under that heat sink. The heat sink comes off and you can see the bulb. From what i learned the flash lets you know the limits of your tweeter. I had mine sounding good for a few weeks and today i rewired my whole system and now they sound like crap again. And I cant get these fuccers to sound right again. The light gets bright with my amp tuned up a quarter ways now. Ive had nothing but problems with my spx's The instructions **** ass and the info on these things are limited. IMO the tweeters are sweet, the mids are ok, and the crossover is garbage. And not to mention that the whole set is real fragile. I broke the tinsel end piece off basket of one mid the other mid got a crack in the cone from a loose wire, and three of the spade connecters on the crossover came loose from the black thing that holds them down. Im not done tweeking with them yet but so far its a thumbs down for these.

I got the same set. The flash is from the bulb thats under that heat sink. The heat sink comes off and you can see the bulb. From what i learned the flash lets you know the limits of your tweeter. I had mine sounding good for a few weeks and today i rewired my whole system and now they sound like crap again. And I cant get these fuccers to sound right again. The light gets bright with my amp tuned up a quarter ways now. Ive had nothing but problems with my spx's The instructions **** ass and the info on these things are limited. IMO the tweeters are sweet, the mids are ok, and the crossover is garbage. And not to mention that the whole set is real fragile. I broke the tinsel end piece off basket of one mid the other mid got a crack in the cone from a loose wire, and three of the spade connecters on the crossover came loose from the black thing that holds them down. Im not done tweeking with them yet but so far its a thumbs down for these.
I just turned down the treble on the deck and it doesnt light up anymore.

I broke the things that you connect the wire to off of my mid's too but i just hot glued them back on, other than that I haven't had any problems at all and i have had nothing but good comments on the way they sound. Definitely the loudest system in my entire school, and i dont even have much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.