Possible that my sub is close to blowing?

SilverBullet6.0
10+ year member

I have 2 Kicker CVR 10" 4ohm DVC subwoofers. They were hooked to a 2 channel amp giving them 125watts each for about a year. For christmas, my parents bought me a Rockford Fosgate amp that does 750watts rms at 1 ohm. My subs are wired parallel/parallel for 1ohm and 375 watts each. I hooked the RF amp up Christmas day. I set the gain using a DMM, then turned it up slightly more, but heard no distortion. My gain was between 5/8 and 3/4. The Punch EQ was a little over half. I had the Infrasonic Filter on. I played the system like this til last night. I was playin some older songs with good bass. About half way through the song "Pimp Juice", I hear a pretty bad rattle/tapping sound. It was my passenger side sub. I immediately turned the gain and Punch EQ down. The sub still plays fine, but I cant play it very loud. If I turn it up, the rattle/tap comes back, but only on that song. This song drives my subs to quite a bit of excursion. Right now I have it set about half as loud as it should be. Only one sub is doing this, there other plays fine. Is the sub about cooked? Or should I simply avoid this song?

I was thinking maybe the spider. Could this problem be fixed? If so, how easy or hard to fix? How could I tell for sure if its the suspension or just bottoming out?

I was thinking maybe the spider. Could this problem be fixed? If so, how easy or hard to fix? How could I tell for sure if its the suspension or just bottoming out?
easiest way to find out whats wrong is take it out and play it free air. listen and I'm sure you'll figure out what happened.

maybe its just buttoming out, because its only doing it for once song. The one song probably has some pretty deep bass, right? Or maybe its recorded at +3 db, as opposed to the standard -6 db.

Get a DMM and measure the output voltage of your amplifier while that song is playing.

If you've never used a DMM to set your gains, then everything you've ever done is wrong.

I have 2 Kicker CVR 10" 4ohm DVC subwoofers. They were hooked to a 2 channel amp giving them 125watts each for about a year. For christmas, my parents bought me a Rockford Fosgate amp that does 750watts rms at 1 ohm. My subs are wired parallel/parallel for 1ohm and 375 watts each. I hooked the RF amp up Christmas day. I set the gain using a DMM, then turned it up slightly more, but heard no distortion. My gain was between 5/8 and 3/4. The Punch EQ was a little over half. I had the Infrasonic Filter on. I played the system like this til last night. I was playin some older songs with good bass. About half way through the song "Pimp Juice", I hear a pretty bad rattle/tapping sound. It was my passenger side sub. I immediately turned the gain and Punch EQ down. The sub still plays fine, but I cant play it very loud. If I turn it up, the rattle/tap comes back, but only on that song. This song drives my subs to quite a bit of excursion. Right now I have it set about half as loud as it should be. Only one sub is doing this, there other plays fine. Is the sub about cooked? Or should I simply avoid this song?
so you didn't set it right

why would you set it with a DMM, then turn the gain knob more?

so you didn't set it rightwhy would you set it with a DMM, then turn the gain knob more?
Well, it wasn't as loud as it should be. And with using a DMM, the gain was only 1/4-3/8 of the way up. I turned it a lil more and still didn't hear distortion, so I left it there.

did you play a 45htz tone when tuning your punch eq is set at 45 so thats where you want to set that and if on that song you might just be pushing to hard and bottoming out but if it starts to happen all the time then its toast start saving for another

Yea I set it with a 45hz tone. But some people have been tellin me I should set the gain with a 60hz tone because most dmms only read accurately at 60hz AC. I hopin maybe that song was just bottoming the sub out. So far today its played fine at medium volume levels.

easiest way to find out whats wrong is take it out and play it free air. listen and I'm sure you'll figure out what happened.
I'm a subwoofer newbie. When I play it free air, what do I play? Music or test tones? And what do I look/listen for? How will I know what's wrong? I went back and re-set my gain with a DMM and turned my bass boost up between 3/8-1/2. I heard no rattle there. But after playing it awhile, the rattle showed up again. So, I turned the bass boost completely down. It's played fine like this for a few days, although it sounds pretty weak right now! Tonight the rattle came back with only the gain set correctly. So, I guess the sub's toast huh? I pulled it out of the box, and the tinsel leads looked fine, although they aren't very far from the cone. Everything else "looked" normal. Didn't smell/feel warm. But, I dont know what to look for?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.