Power HX2 motor...Custom build questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

mustangowner
10+ year member

still wangin'
Shelby,AL
I have a 10" power hx2 sub and I have been trying to sell it, or trade it locally for a 1000+rms 12" sub. I can't seem to get rid of it...SO, I have decided to build a custom 12 using the power hx2 motor...

Here is what I am wanting to do with the motor...I will obviously have to get a 12" basket, but I'm not sure which basket to use. With this being a 4" coil motor, my basket choices are slim...I thought about getting a 12" hx2 basket, but I think there should be something better out there. Any suggestions?

I would like to use a high roll surround cone as I think those look good on ANY sub...cone material/color isn't really a concern. The problem is finding a 12" cone with a high roll surround that accepts a 4" coil...any suggestions on where to buy one of these from?

As far as the coil, I'm tempted to remove the cone and spiders from the stock coil and use it....its spotless...and both read around 2.5ohms. Any benefit of stepping up to a different coil? If so, any suggestions?

I have about 1500-1600rms @ 1ohm to play with, so I'd like to throw about 1200rms or so to the sub when complete.

For reference, I found this thread while searching....I like this recone!

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/438064-power-hx2-recone-pics.html

I got an hdc3 done with a 12spoke from psi I'm pretty sure they could help you. Maybe Fi, tantric, or sundown not sure tho. There are also many builders on here that I'm unaware of that could help you out. Just shoot those 4 companies emails and see if they get back to you most will.

Thanks! I sent OldSchoolRF a pm, but no response yet.

I thought about contacting PSI and get them to put me together a kit, but I assume they need to know what basket I will be using, correct? Also, I'm not sure if they can supply a high roll surround on the cone...

I might be making this more complicated than it is, lol

hmmm...didn't think about opening the coil cutout to 4"...ive found a few high roll cones with a 3" cutout.

I guess the opening doesnt have to be perfectly centered on the cone? When the sub is assembled and glued, the coil being centered in the motor is all that matters, right?

are there any other baskets, other than the ti basket and the standard 12 spoke, that will work with a 4" coil?

hmmm...didn't think about opening the coil cutout to 4"...ive found a few high roll cones with a 3" cutout.
I guess the opening doesnt have to be perfectly centered on the cone? When the sub is assembled and glued, the coil being centered in the motor is all that matters, right?

are there any other baskets, other than the ti basket and the standard 12 spoke, that will work with a 4" coil?
I would personally use a ti basket, as it uses bigger spiders, and isn't depth restricted when it comes to the soft parts smacking the top plate. Plus it's kind of pretty. I believe ultra audio can make you a drop in kit? Not 100% sure on that but I've bought countless of parts from them.

I would personally use a ti basket, as it uses bigger spiders, and isn't depth restricted when it comes to the soft parts smacking the top plate. Plus it's kind of pretty. I believe ultra audio can make you a drop in kit? Not 100% sure on that but I've bought countless of parts from them.
Well, I read somewhere that the ti basket, because of the bigger spiders, can cause the coil to bottom out...can this somehow be avoided when using the ti basket?

This is the first sub build I have ever attempted, so I'm still learning...however, I have done a little research before attempting such a task.

I'm needing suggestions on what spider pack to use. Don't want to use to many or not enough. Any suggestions?

I will in fact be using a stock basket. I have been told, once again, that the ti basket, using 10" spiders, will bottom out the coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.