power/memory problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

pr1dragon88
10+ year member

Platano Ranger
Miami, Fl
i had wired the head unit the way i thought it was supposed to be according to the manual...but it wouldnt turn on...i had a good ground and everything was fine so i started playin around with things cuz i had a similar problem before but it never got resolved...

right now the only way for me to have the radio working is to have the the battery/memory and the ignition/acc cables wired together. but now my problem is that the radio doesnt come on automatically...and i have no memory...all the settings reset when the car turns off. im really stumped on this one so any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

You most likely have a blown fuse for the radio memory in the vehicle's fusebox. Separate and disconnect your memory and accessory wires (yellow and red) then check all your fuses. The radio memory fuse might not be labelled as a radio fuse, so check them all, including any fuseboxes under the hood. If you have any other devices in the car that suddenly aren't working, such as dome light, cig lighter or horn, that might be a clue to finding the correct fuse.

did that...and all the fuses are fine...the fuse from the battery to the amp is the only that is blown. but ill check them all again

If your constant and accessory power wires are together, take them apart. You can make the radio work that way, but not correctly. Much better to find and fix the real problem.

As far as finding the real problem, you'll just have to get a multimeter and track it down. Your yellow wire should have power at all times. Your red wire should have power only when the key is turned on. One of the two probably doesn't have power at all. You'll have to figure out which one, then either fix the problem or run a replacement wire. It probably still comes back to a fuse; you can't always easily detect a blown fuse by looking at it.

Troubleshooting without a multimeter is just guessing.

i had the same problem recently. have to wire the remote, 12v and constant together to get it to work. then i realized when i had my key in the acc postion w/ my door open the chime sound wasnt working to let you know the door was open. i checked the fuse for the chime and it was blown. replaced the fuse wired everything up corresponding the decks owner manual and it worked. just time and patience and youll find the solution to your problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.