power wire

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have wired just under a dozen amps myself and I have never used anything other than multi strand copper wire. On my own systems, I first used Phoenix Gold wiring. After a few months there was blackening (corrosion) around all the power and ground wire connections. I then switched to using Street Wire power cables and I have never seen a speck of corrosion or wire blackening since. I think that as long as you stick to a decent name brand of wire, you should be alright. I think you said that you knew about guages so I won't get into that.

The only difference # of strands makes is flexibility. I found some 2 ga welding cable at the hardware store the other day that was like $0.80/ft. that would work just as well as the $3-$5/ft stuff. Like nate said though, corrosion might be a concern in the long term.

Originally posted by n2audio:The only difference # of strands makes is flexibility. I found some 2 ga welding cable at the hardware store the other day that was like $0.80/ft. that would work just as well as the $3-$5/ft stuff. Like nate said though, corrosion might be a concern in the long term.
true true

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.