Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

to keep rain from hitting the top/speaker. Water slides down (yes ive tested it) the baffles, but doesnt hit the speaker. Hell i didnt want them in, my dad kept insisting. anyways, does it look good enough?
Ahh, I suppose that would be car dependant, I woulda thought the water would splash up on the bottom when puddles and stuff were hit.

I will be working on my doors in a few weeks and I had some questions after reading this entire sticky.

Will the clay come off in the Dallas area temp or will it be just fine with the temp in the doors getting up around 120-130?

How much sound is lost with the mids trying to fight through the stock grills/door panel. Do you guys use some sort of rubber ring or foam around the outside of the mid to fit tightly against the door panel to force the sound to go directly out the grill so sound does not escape into the door panel?

I have always had an impossible time try to run wires through the stock rubber tube that lets the wires run from the dash area into the doors. Do you guys just use the stock wires or do you run your own and drill a new hole into the door?

The manuf of comps always say to keep your tweeters within 6 inches of the mid, this is about impossible unless you use Q-forms or build your own pods for the kicks.

I will be working on my doors in a few weeks and I had some questions after reading this entire sticky.
Will the clay come off in the Dallas area temp or will it be just fine with the temp in the doors getting up around 120-130?
Butyl rubber based products, such as RAAMmat and SS, will do fine up to 300 degrees or so before failing...can't say the same about asphalt based ones.

How much sound is lost with the mids trying to fight through the stock grills/door panel. Do you guys use some sort of rubber ring or foam around the outside of the mid to fit tightly against the door panel to force the sound to go directly out the grill so sound does not escape into the door panel?
A ton of sound is lost through holes in the door panel, if that's what you mean...make sure to seal all the holes in the door by covering them in several layers of deadener and making sure the door is as airtight as possible. You want the only opening in the door to be where the speaker is.

I have always had an impossible time try to run wires through the stock rubber tube that lets the wires run from the dash area into the doors. Do you guys just use the stock wires or do you run your own and drill a new hole into the door?
When I install my mids, I'm going to run new wires, might as well...have you tried electrical fish tape or using a piece of coathanger to fish the wire through?

The manuf of comps always say to keep your tweeters within 6 inches of the mid, this is about impossible unless you use Q-forms or build your own pods for the kicks.
Imaging will depend on the vehicle, but yeah - keeping the tweet close to the mid and in the same plane is usually recommended.

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant the door panel grill that protects and covers the speaker in the pic below. Sound would have to escape within the panel as it bounces off the grill back towards the speaker. I was wondering if you guys used something around the speaker like foam tape or another baffle ring to sit up against the door panel grill so sound does not escape within the door panel and is forced to go out the grill.

I also meant the modelling clay that people put around the speaker and not the sound deadning dynamat products. Will this clay fall off in hot temp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/phaez/hio.jpg

mabye its been answered already but im making some mdf rings for mid and tweet to put them in the stock location in my civic. WEll around that area its very uneven. Any suggestions to fill the gaps and wholes that will come up? Also if you used mdf rings how did you secure to door, screws or glue or?

haha type s eh? hows the treating you. and x2 on the clay for hot temps.

mabye its been answered already but im making some mdf rings for mid and tweet to put them in the stock location in my civic. WEll around that area its very uneven. Any suggestions to fill the gaps and wholes that will come up? Also if you used mdf rings how did you secure to door, screws or glue or?

haha type s eh? hows the treating you. and x2 on the clay for hot temps.
That is not my car but an example that I found.

Try the clay on the under side of the ring to fill the gaps and caulk around the side. Then more clay around the ring.

I just screwed the MDF ring to the door panel and then screwed the speaker to the ring.

Any open voids were filled with the clay.

I bought the cheap stuff( from wal mart), it melts and makes a BIG mess.

I usually use the scock grilles because it looks bad without them and most aftermarket ones wont fit

yeah. well it melted at 170 (the lowest point any of my ovens go to) but that doesnt do me any good. I live in san diego so it rarely gets more than 105. lets say add another 25 degrees to that and thats how hot it is in the car door. any other "easy" alternatives?

hey just finished a deaden install in my friend's scion xb. here are some pics.

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

My friend comps set is the A/D/S 246ix running 2 channels off of an USamps I/S 4085. we listened to music for a good amount of time before the install. then after installing we listened to it for about 10-15 min and there was a huge improvement in the midbass. IT took about 3 hrs to do both doors with two people. I would recommend to anyone who thiking about doing it, definately worth the time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.