Quick Question.. Replacing Stock Components

Participant count
  • Participant list

m4dioses
10+ year member

I bought my dad T4001 Components for the door in his Impala, they sound alright but not that great (mostly due to him havin the stock HU still).

Anyways, my question while installing them was the fact that 4 wires came out to the default component set there.. so which do I run in to the crossover? Do I run the old woofer wires into the +/- on the crossover and just tape off the old tweeter wires? or do I bridge them and run them both to the crossover... or? I just feel like I'm missing something here.

PS. It's a 2003 Impala (not SS, etc)

There is proabably a capacitor/simple xover network with the stock components.

Follow the wires back to this network and use the wires before the network.

CT

look on the bottom of the rear deck lid, (where the 6x9's are). a lot of the impala's had a factory amplifier there, regardless of trim level. my 02 impala LS had one, and i've also seen other LS's that didn't have one. if you look in from the trunk, you'll see a big silver box mounted in the middle with a bunch of heatsinks in it

Yeah, the wires split not too far off from that. I found that out after about 25 minutes of exploring. :p

Oh well, I just ran the woofer lines to the xover and left it. The sound isn't what it should be, but it's a huge improvement over his blown stock.

I'm only in the state for 5 days and two of them will be further up north at a wedding, so I'm not rewiring his whole car!

..and wow, needs some sort of sound dampening material in the door. vibrations galore.

EDIT: Another question, would it be logical to install bass blockers en route to the woofers? .. To stop the rattling, because it's pretty bad.

no. make sure you got the door panel back on all the way and didn't break any clips. i had jl tr's and xr's in my 02 impala, (plus a 10w7) and it didn't rattle at all. but that was back in 02 or 03. maybe your dad's car didn't age well? ive done installs in a TON of impala's for customers and never had any issues with rattles/vibrations. you might have a loose snap-clip or something in there. find where the rattle is coming from exactly, and you can use a little felt tape or something to kill it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.