"porting" your trunk

BLD 25
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Hey, i have an 03 Dodge Intrepid and i was wondering how many people have done this, and how they have done it. I noticed a huge difference just by taking the upper trunk liner out, but i imagine a few 4-6" ports would help even more. I don't want to compromise structural integrity at all. This isn't an SPL car, but SQ, and this huge quiet trunk blocks all my bass!!

I have a Soundsplinter RL-P 12 with about 800w RMS in a ported box.

thanks for the help!

Do your seats fold? If so you can face the sub towards the cabin and build a wall to separate the trunk from the cabin completely, extensive work though...

Wont be THAT much of a difference, That liner probably did most of it

a lot of people say to take the rear speakers out, but i don't see how a .5mm piece of paper(speaker cone) can block sound. Doesn't make much sense.

a lot of people say to take the rear speakers out, but i don't see how a .5mm piece of paper(speaker cone) can block sound. Doesn't make much sense.
Hold a piece of paper over your mouth. Try to breath. I'll bet it's more difficult. The speakers are presenting resistance to the air movement.

In my install I had to seal up the whole rear deck and the area behind the seats because I don't want any air to get through (IB). You want the opposite, so you should do the opposite and remove everything you can that is in your way.

Hold a piece of paper over your mouth. Try to breath. I'll bet it's more difficult. The speakers are presenting resistance to the air movement.
In my install I had to seal up the whole rear deck and the area behind the seats because I don't want any air to get through (IB). You want the opposite, so you should do the opposite and remove everything you can that is in your way.
very good point. However, hold a piece of paper up to your face and talk through it. Sound needs the medium of air, but the air doesn't have to move large distances to transmit the sound, it just oscillates.

Without pressure, there is no sound. You are inhibiting the transfer of pressure into the cabin by having the speakers in place. You are correct, the air doesn't need to move large distances. In my example where you hold the paper over your mouth, I bet you had high air pressure on one side of the paper, and atmospheric pressure on the other.

When you simply talk through a piece of paper, the paper transmits a majority of the pressure wave by oscillating itself since it is held without appreciable resistance. A speaker cone is damped by the spider, the surround, etc. and is less likely to transmit the pressure.

Speakers in the rear deck effectively damp the pressure wave (sound) entering the cabin. Go pull the speakers and prove it to yourself. It's not going to be suddenly twice as loud, but it will be somewhat louder.

yea man if you have a trunk car try it, you will notice a difference. Not to mention that the rear speaker are probably being pushed beyond their limits by the pressure of the subwoofers and making distorted sounds

talk when your bass is playing and it'll be louder and also make your voice sound really odd lol, and get rid of your rear speakers and have that be your "Vent" into the cabin, it works wonders

I took out my rear deck 6x9's and noticed minimal gains in bass performance.

What I REALLY noticed is the road noise that I can now hear coming from the trunk when Im not blaring the stereo, which a more annoying trade-off IMO. Im going to put the speakers back in or sound deaden the speaker "ports" to the trunk.

Personaly, I dont like the bass of the trunk interacting with the sound the rear speakers are trying to produce. I sealed my box to the trunk with silicone and great stuff expanding foam. It bolts to the frame and to the strut tower horizontal brace. I heard this gives a transfer function of transmiting the vibration of the box to the body of the car. The box floats above the spare tire so I can still remove it, and I put 2x2 oak strips on the back of the box with T nuts so I can bolt an amp rack to the back and remove it any time I switch things up. I don't know if this kind of setup is good for a ported box though because it is so close to the back seats and I dont know if the bass loads correctly into the cabin.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/20bigbang/100_4557.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/20bigbang/100_4553.jpg

Yeah its a mess, need to make a trim panel with cutouts.

I have a 02 intrepid.

I am going to buy fold down seats (which some models came with) and install them. I just have to find them.

Once you take the 6x9's out (like I did), there is still metal and the rear strut bar right under the 6x9's so don't waste your time. Just get folding seats, buy some used ones or something, that is what I am going to do.

Rear deck speakers + sub in trunk = azz

After taking rear speakers out, sound quality increased alot. Bass increased a little. The rear deck was still hendering bass. I took the rear deck out and cut the 6 by 9 holes out:yumyum: BASS , clean, hard bass was hiding in that trunk behind those holes I tell ya:eek: . Before I cut the holes you could feel the bass, Now it punches you in the mofo head. Thinking about doing a slot port across the whole deck.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif :yumyum: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif :yumyum: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif BASS

You ever notice how loud a trunk setup sounds with the trunk cracked open? You want that in the cabin. Let it in FTMFW.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

BLD 25

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
BLD 25
Carbondale, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date