"snickering" towards JL systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, JL makes quality products. Are they the best? No. Are they the worst? No. That's about all there is to it. I used a stealthbox in my truck because I thought it would give me the best sound out of the options I could find. When I get to picking subs for my other system, I will consider JL again. My reason for this is that I think the W6 is a great sub for my application (SQ).

I guess the bottom line is that I am getting the sound that I want out of my system - anyone else can snicker and laugh, be louder, score better in SQ - it doesn't really matter. My system sounds good to me so that's what I'm running. Of course, I'm always interested in making it sound better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

All you gotta mention is their stellar recone price and lovely requirement to see original owner recipits to repair their amps to make me wanna gag.
indeed. $350 for a 12" recone. and then they weren't planning on even looking at it because it didn't have a serial number. THEY WOULDN'T LOOK AT THEIR OWN PRODUCT! took some convincing, but now all they want is to prove that it wasn't stolen (some sort of receipt).

Okay first off, the only people saying JL is overpriced don't have any sense whatsoever of economics, and are probably in high school. If a product sells at a given price, and allows you to be one of the biggest audio companies in the US, then continue to sell it. Make sense? K, glad we have that out of the way.

Second, the warranties are not nearly as strict as some of you seem to think they are. When I was selling JL at the shop I used to work at, all we'd need to do was look through the system at the person when they gave us their name, and as a shop, we could do the rest, and JL took good care of us.

Third, please take a full tour of JL's manufacturing facility/headquarters in Miromar, Florida, and then get back to me on your opinion of the company. It was one of the best experiences of my life, in this hobby anyway. Manville and company gave us an awesome tour.

JL has been available to the public since I believe 1992. That's about 14 years they have been in this industry. No, you can't get it for dirt cheap on the internet, and no they do not make crappy sounding SPL subs. They make subs to listen to music with, and to sound **** good while doing that.

I think they have proven themselves by being the name that they are, and basically always being at the top of their game, given the quality of their products. I'm going to stop ranting, I don't even run JL's, can't afford them right now, but after selling them, meeting the people behind the scenes, and thoroughly auditioning all their products, I give them an A+ overall.

And also, you are not buying the "same thing" for less money, I hate when people say that. The amount of quality control as well as research and development that goes into JL products far surpasses that of any internet based company.

And also, you are not buying the "same thing" for less money, I hate when people say that. The amount of quality control as well as research and development that goes into JL products far surpasses that of any internet based company.
Dude, shut up. Just because an "internet company" is small doesn't mean that they don't have as good as quality as JL. And what you call an "internet company" is not just on the internet. They are just a smaller company trying to get a start. JL had to start somewhere. They didn't just automatically become so popular and have good quality. And until you try a smaller company's product, shut up. A small company can be just as good quality, if not more, then JL. Corprate money doen't mean the best. Usually a small company is dedicated to good products at a cheaper price without advertisment ads. Take RE for example. Back a few years ago, how many people had heard of RE? People in and around Vegas, and around the audio forums. Does this mean the quality *****? No. RE built their reputation up just as JL did, until they (both companies) could go national and have a dealer network. This is the same for RF, and any other brand that people refer to as good. I'm not bashing JL. I, unlike some people, have actually heard JL, and RE before it became mainstream. Back when it was what you call an "internet company". And honestly my SE's sounded a lot better and got louder then the JL W3v1's. So next time try to actually understand what you are talking about before you attempt to make a post.

Dude, shut up. Just because an "internet company" is small doesn't mean that they don't have as good as quality as JL. And what you call an "internet company" is not just on the internet. They are just a smaller company trying to get a start. JL had to start somewhere. They didn't just automatically become so popular and have good quality. And until you try a smaller company's product, shut up. A small company can be just as good quality, if not more, then JL. Corprate money doen't mean the best. Usually a small company is dedicated to good products at a cheaper price without advertisment ads. Take RE for example. Back a few years ago, how many people had heard of RE? People in and around Vegas, and around the audio forums. Does this mean the quality *****? No. RE built their reputation up just as JL did, until they (both companies) could go national and have a dealer network. This is the same for RF, and any other brand that people refer to as good. I'm not bashing JL. I, unlike some people, have actually heard JL, and RE before it became mainstream. Back when it was what you call an "internet company". And honestly my SE's sounded a lot better and got louder then the JL W3v1's. So next time try to actually understand what you are talking about before you attempt to make a post.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif :laugh: I was buying from internet audio companies a couple years before you even became a member here. I owned first generation eD equipment that you probably haven't even heard of. Like when their subs were built by the people that built DD's. I introduced all my friends in high school to internet based companies and was a forum sackrider through out high school. I owned a Resonant Engineering SX 15, and my friend had 2 15 SE's because of me, and an RE amp. Yet another friend owned a XXX then an old school HC. I also installed 2 XXX 18's with a Crossifre vr4000d in TypeR0149's Yukon back before he got it walled off. I'm pretty familiar with RE equipment. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

All I'm saying is, I have extensive experience with internet based audio companies. I worked at a shop for several months that sold mainstream brands such as JL Audio, Eclipse, Alpine, MB Quart, RF, etc so I also have a good amount of time with those products.

And the SE's are louder than the 12w3? I hope so! The 12w3 is in a lower class, with a rating of 300 watt rms , while your SE's are what, 600?? So next time try to actually understand what you are talking about before you attempt to make a post.

i believe what he said was that the se's sounded better while getting louder than the w3's. if that's because they are "in a higher class" than the w3, why are they cheaper? hell i think even after RE sold out and jacked all the prices up, they're still cheaper or right about the same price.

why did the old dual mag 12's (back when mags were sold direct) i heard get louder and sound better than 12w7's in the same car, with all other factors remaining the same? those subs take the same amount of power as w7's. but guess what, they cost half.

obviously my q 15's would decimate some 13w7's for daily purposes, with the extra cone area, but i'd put my money on a q 12 against a w7, and at LESS than half the price.

i dont care that re sold out. what i dont like is the ridiculous prices they want for their subs these days. jl may still be owned by the same people, but their prices are equally ridiculous.

unless you're talking about the xxx's...

i dont necessarily put RE in the "internet company" category anymore. when i hear "internet company" i think of companies that sell their speakers direct, thereby giving the consumer more for their money, not having to pay for the companies profits as well as the middleman. take fi. they're what re used to be. stereo integrity went the same way as RE imo.

i believe what he said was that the se's sounded better while getting louder than the w3's. if that's because they are "in a higher class" than the w3, why are they cheaper?
why did the old dual mag 12's (back when mags were sold direct) i heard get louder and sound better than 12w7's in the same car, with all other factors remaining the same? those subs take the same amount of power as w7's. but guess what, they cost half.

obviously my q 15's would decimate some 13w7's for daily purposes, but i'd put my money on a q 12 against a w7, and LESS than half the price.
Why does equipment cost more that has a 14 year reputation? Local shop support? Much more R&D and a extensive testing of the product? Rfer to my post for why they cost more. You might not like JL, but that's alright because they're going to keep selling and always be one of the premier audio companies out there.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif And I find it funny that you compare subs and nothing else. What kind of amps does Fi sell? Components? OEM audio interfaces? Home audio equipment? Marine Audio equipment? Wiring? It's like I said, JL doesn't build SPL subs, so yeah, there's subs out there that are going to get louder. And FYI - sounding "better" is simply your opinion. Your friend listening with you might disagree, which has happened to me before.

I laugh at you saying a Q 15 would "decimate" a 13w7 for "daily" purposes. In what way would it "decimate" a 13w7? Might be few dB louder if installed properly, but as stated, w7's are not built around the premise of trying to be louder than other subs in their power range, so they really have no shortcoming here. They also utilize a much smaller enclosure than a Q 15.

if you looked at the msrp on some brand names you know. they would be up there in price as JL audio.
dont only point the finger at JL
Good point, I looked up some XXX's on eBay and was shocked at the $600 tag. Digital Designs subs are also extremely expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

creyc

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
creyc
Los Angeles, CA
Start date
Participants