"Super" Tweeters on 3-ways stopped temporarily?

pervertatoid
10+ year member

So I was driving down the road today with the music blasting (at a higher volume than I normally do, and for a longer period of time than ever before at that volume), and suddenly the highs in the music sounded a bit...drowned out. I mean, it still sounded alright, but the highs just didn't have the "oomph" that they did before.

It sounded like the speakers were playing fine, to include one set of tweeters, but the "super tweeters" weren't. When I got home, I turned the car off and let it sit for several hours before I went out to check on everything, and when I got back out there, everything sounded normal.

What could cause this? Could they have overheated and shut down or something? What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

If it helps, the speakers are Eclipse SE8365.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure on the super tweeter part besides the fact that normally speakers don't die, then come back.. but a possibility is that if you were running them amped, the amp heated up and started producing more THD % than normal, and just needed to cool down.

the speaker may have a protection circuit built in for the tweeters. If its not loud enough you need more/better speakers and more power
I don't normally run them at such a high volume - I did that time because I was doing about 80mph on the freeway with the windows down. Was psyched 'cause I just got my driver's license back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I don't normally run them at such a high volume - I did that time because I was doing about 80mph on the freeway with the windows down. Was psyched 'cause I just got my driver's license back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Sounds like a very intelligent thing to do as soon as you get your license back.

Do you have them amped, or off the head unit? If they are off the head unit, get an amp. Then save up for better speakers. If they are off an amp, save up for better speakers. Go for decent quality 2-ways instead of 3 or more ways. You don't need a supertweeter to hit the highs, just a good tweeter.

Sounds like a very intelligent thing to do as soon as you get your license back.
Yeah, I know, but I just had to. Don't plan on doing it again.

Do you have them amped, or off the head unit? If they are off the head unit, get an amp. Then save up for better speakers. If they are off an amp, save up for better speakers. Go for decent quality 2-ways instead of 3 or more ways. You don't need a supertweeter to hit the highs, just a good tweeter.
They're amped, and I'll be saving up for some components next. Not sure what kind yet, though.

I would Stick with 3 way components over 2-way (it's not the tweeter change it's the mid-range change)

but i would go with a 2-way speaker over a 3-way speaker.

The Crossover DOES have a protection circuit in it for the tweeter.

I have the same ECL-SC8365 (3-way component) (Front and Rear)

I also have ECL-SC8264 (2-way component) (Center) (Previously Front)

Honestly they have never caused me any problems and I love them sound beautiful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.