Re installing Audio Set Up

Participant count
  • Participant list
That's like a perfect explanation. Veryy easy to understand. First time someone tried to explain to me, it wasn't in this simple of a way. :)
Always trust your ears to verify the DMM method:

learn to identify the change in pitch associated with clipping. (this is easier to hear in higher frequencies too)

The DMM method is an ok trick, but always remember the frequency chosen to set the gain with should be the frequency at the lowest point of ohm rise...and this is primarily dependent upon box type and tune.(subs)

That video is awesome. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Thanks for posting that.
Call me old school, or whatever..but anyone messing with this stuff needs to know what to listen for in clipping....at the very least so they know when to turn it down a notch or two after setting the gain with a DMM and playing with EQ/bass boost, etc.

And as the vid proves, you can get dead on by ear...this is not Rocket Science.

That video is awesome. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Thanks for posting that.

Are you really a real life real female or are you some dude building up a forum persona so some unsuspecting victim will fall for you and ship their 4 Sundown 3500's to you before payment? I've been wondering...

So 17.32 V? And where can I get that test tone? How can I identify clipping?
17.32v is correct!

Link to 0dB test tones: Stereo System Test & Analysis Tones by Nino B. Find the link for 1kHz.

The video quackhead posted makes detecting clipping pretty clear, here is the link in case you did not see the embedded video:

I was just messin around, but that is probably the longest forum introduction thread I've seen on any website. I wonder what that says about the CA community...

when setting gain or "level" for the amp with a dmm, V = sqrt(P x R) where V is the amount of volts you would want to see on your dmm according to desired rms output. P is how many watts rms you want coming out from the amp and R is the load your subs are wired to. so if you want your amp to put out 500w rms @ 1 ohm. it would be sqrt(500 x 1) which equals to 22.36V so @ 22.36V on the dmm, you're putting out 500w. try to lay off the bass boosts
Exactly right. Here is a website that does it for you:

Wattage

OP, You will want bass boosts off for the most part. The only time you might want them is if you are turning your gain on your amp up almost all the way and still not getting the voltage you want.

Okay I tried again and disconnected the positive and negative right speaker terminals. Played the test tone. Had the correct scaling. Turned the gain all the way up and it only got to 9.8. I need to get to 17.32! What's wrong?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.