Remember Tannoy ICT Drivers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ciaonzo
5,000+ posts

TheContinental
WI
Tannoy ICT (Inductive Coupling Technology) speakers. These were brilliant and sounded wonderful but they didn't enjoy widespread popularity. Thought I might bring it up for your viewing pleasure. If you come across a pair, I highly recommend them for anyone wanting a very simple way to implement a 3-way front stage by using just 4 channels of signal and amplification. Link at the bottom. Some marketing text:

The point-source configuration of the TANNOY ICT driver’s mid-bass and tweeter sections ensures a wide and controlled dispersion for optimum coverage. By utilising a wireless electromagnetic tweeter that does not require a crossover and cannot be burned out from heavy or abusive use, this drive unit addresses the two most common component failures experienced in long term high power levels – the tweeter and the crossover.

The use of an inductively coupled 25 mm (1”) Duralumin domed wireless electromagnetic tweeter means that no crossover is required in the design. The high frequency dome has a deep drawn skirt which sits on the inside of the low frequency voice coil in the same magnetic gap. Like a single shorted turn, it is induced with high frequency information generated by the low frequency voice coil, which is fed a full bandwidth signal.

Inno-ICT-Driver-Technology-312x311.jpg
150369.jpg
img_0

Linky --> tannoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I grabbed a translated paragrah by mistake. I updated and replaced it with an English version.

I have a few pairs of these in both 5.25 and 6 inch and the sound is very nice. Beautiful midrange quality and they do well off axis. EQ or careful leveling between these and your midbass is a must, though. They can be rather forward, if not. Cross at about 80Hz for high power and you're good for some loud ass highs!

Its a awesome idea. How is phase between the two drivers?
They reveal spacial cues in spades and throw a crazy deep image if it's in the recording, so it must be quite good. It would be hard to see a graph of that behavior, though, because the tweeter doesn't have a voice coil that you can power separately. Instead, the energy is induced by the back EMF of the woofer coil. To see any difference in phase tracking you would need to measure the whole driver and plot that, then gut the tweeter out and measure again without it.

They reveal spacial cues in spades and throw a crazy deep image if it's in the recording, so it must be quite good. It would be hard to see a graph of that behavior, though, because the tweeter doesn't have a voice coil that you can power separately. Instead, the energy is induced by the back EMF of the woofer coil. To see any difference in phase tracking you would need to measure the whole driver and plot that, then gut the tweeter out and measure again without it.
Yea. I meant in actual phase angle between the orginal signle and induced signal as well as the actual phase in output.

Yea. I meant in actual phase angle between the orginal signle and induced signal as well as the actual phase in output.
I'd be interested in seeing that as well.
Goodmans also had a version of this driver and a line of speakers putting it to use. I'll see if the innerwebz can turn anything up on those. A review or something that can shed some light on it.

Didn't Advent offer a series of drivers very similar to these in the early 90's. I seem to remember those being referred to as ict also.
Ah, yes! I knew there was another brand out there. I can almost remember the ad in the car audio magazines, black page with a crosssection of the driver?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...