Replacing stock radio with double din

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
Will I lose the factory amp if I replace the factory radio? My goal is to replace the factory radio, run the speakers off of the factory amp and add my own amp for a sub. Will the factory amp work off the new radio with a standard harness ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory amp IS the factory radio, it is self contained in the headunit. Replacing it will not matter because the new radio will have one that is mostly likely more powerful and higher quality. What you want to do is easy, use the high level inputs coming out the back of your radio for the door speakers, and use the RCA outputs for your sub.

Some cars have seperate amps.

Most have a harness that lets you tap into the factory amp. Personally I wouldn't use it. It's to cheap these days to get something much better

Some cars have seperate amps. Most have a harness that lets you tap into the factory amp. Personally I wouldn't use it. It's to cheap these days to get something much better
I gonna eventually add my own components but will start with a sub and the Bose speakers for now. You think the Bose speakers will sound ok on the double din without the amp ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The factory amp IS the factory radio, it is self contained in the headunit. Replacing it will not matter because the new radio will have one that is mostly likely more powerful and higher quality. What you want to do is easy, use the high level inputs coming out the back of your radio for the door speakers, and use the RCA outputs for your sub.
In vehicles that have upgraded factory systems like bose, infinity, sony, mclaren, B&W, there is seperate dedicated amps, the install will become a sh*t show if you dont properly bypass these stock amps.

In vehicles that have upgraded factory systems like bose, infinity, sony, mclaren, B&W, there is seperate dedicated amps, the install will become a sh*t show if you dont properly bypass these stock amps.
My plan is to actually use the factory amp on a aftermarket double din and using the factory Bose door speakers and Bose amp , the only addition would be the secondary new amp and single sub addition. This should hold me off a bit till I can add the second 4 channel amp and components to doors. This should sound decent enough to hold me off, there is currently no sub , it's all Bose door speakers . I need some bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.