Researched and narrowed it to three, which would you choose?

Which amp to power a 600w rms 12" DVC sub, 2ohm load?

• Total voters

quattro88
10+ year member

So after a grip of searching and reading, I've narrowed my amp choices down to these three:

Audioque AQ1200D

Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D

MB Quart ONX1.1500D

It will be powering an RE Audio SE Series SE12-D4 12" Dual 4ohm Sub (600 RMS / 1200 Peak), wired in parallel and in a sealed ~.9cu/ft enclosure.

After reading just about every thread or post I could find on these three amps, figured I'd cap off my search by putting up a quick thread to see what everyone had to say.

From what I can tell, all three will power the sub just fine and know they're all a common choice for the sub's specs and my volume requirements (nothing too crazy, just deep and clean... even at low volumes).

However, I'm unsure if one is stronger than the others at a 2 ohm load and if any of these are known for running hot.

That said, any thoughts you've got would be appreciated.

Either the BRZ or the Onyx
Going with a more well known brand is appealing for sure but I always consider the lesser known as well. Wound up with a great sub b/c of it.

First outta the gate, not a fan of the Audioque?

Not realy havent heard a ton of good about them... My current Maxxsonics product is awesome!
This is funny. I was ready to nix the Hifonics as it seemed like a lesser contender of the group. But it kept coming up in searches, a guy on one of my Audi boards is running it sans problems, CEA compliant etc etc. So, I kept it on there and sure enough you pick that one.

My largest concern with it was long term quality, seems that some of the Hifonics stuff can have a limited life span. But then again, MBQ is owned by Maxxsonics as well...

They havent gotten a very good rep cuz of some bad BXI series amps and there cheaper stuff but the new BRZ series seems very promising
I see, that makes more sense. ****, this choice might be harder than I thought. But that is kinda the fun of it.

Best part, the Hifonics can be had for the least expensive of the three. But I'm more than willing to pay a bit more for the best of the three.

There is a few threads about the BRZ amps and the ONYX as well if you havent searched them on here yet
No no, read as many as I could before I posted, hence why it was on the list in the first place (and the MBQ).

Good glad to see new members using the search feature... The ONYX amps look great imo
Guess I do have uber noob status. Rightfully so with almost no posts. I just lurk but never comment. Been around a while but it's not really my scene so I keep to myself. ;-)

And yes' date=' they really do. Was initially concerned about the lack o CEA mark but after reading some reviews off site that were very positive, bench tested well and whatnot. That and since it just edges out the Hifonics, plus build quality and Hifonics rep for not being overly bulletproof... of the two I would go with the ONYX.

[img']http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/noti88/Amp%20Install/35894568.png[/img]

I also found a lot of positive things about the Audioque as well. But at some point you can't just go off numbers, hence why I started this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
All 3 look nice but I would go with AQ over the others. IMO it's just a better quality amp. My 2200d is a beast of an amp for the price paid.
This is exactly what I kept reading, especially in each thread (not just here) that mentioned both of the others. Obviously the 2200d is in an entirely different category, but it's comments like this that weigh heavily with me.

What are you running with it?

Guess I do have uber noob status. Rightfully so with almost no posts. I just lurk but never comment. Been around a while but it's not really my scene so I keep to myself. ;-)
And yes, they really do. Was initially concerned about the lack o CEA mark but after reading some reviews off site that were very positive, bench tested well and whatnot. That and since it just edges out the Hifonics, plus build quality and Hifonics rep for not being overly bulletproof... of the two I would go with the ONYX.

I also found a lot of positive things about the Audioque as well. But at some point you can't just go off numbers, hence why I started this thread.
Ya looks like you have been around awhile... my mistake lol... The Onyx does look nice there as well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...