Retain the factory installed mic and USB port?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ursula1000

I have a 2012 Scion xB. The USB port is in the center console box and the microphone is up by the map lights. I want to upgrade the stock head unit and still keep the function of the mic and USB port that the car already has. I like having the iPod hidden inside the console box. The mic is flawless, friends say it doesn't sound like I am in a car when talking to me.

So, is possible to keep them? I plan on getting a head unit like the Pioneer AVH P4400BH with a rear usb. I don't want my installer to say it can't be done unless....I buy a whole lot of parts for nothing. And if I do have to buy parts, what would I need. Just don't want to look dumb when dealing with him.

I know that I am going to need a steering wheel control adapter either a PSC or Axxess...any help would be appreciated!

These guys are in fact correct there is a wire harness that connects directly into the back of your factory HU. Here are you options, either you do as mentioned above and utalize the space for the new components, making it look as factory as possible....or you break out a solder kit and get a friend who is a good with circuits, data transfer, analog signals, and voltages, and you integrate it into the factory stuff. While the second option is possible it will literally require hours of work added to the build for even those of us with heavy electrical backgrounds...so it isn't really practical.

Thanks for clearing that up. Then I will stick to my original plan which is keep the stock unit, which is perfectly fine and amp it and upgrade the speakers...then I will get a decent sound system without installing an aftermarket head unit where I would have to plug my iPod in the front with the cord dangling down to the center console and lose that really good factory-installed mic. I just wanted to get myself a double din touch-screen...but I don't watch dvds in the car. I just listen to SiriusXM and my ipod mostly. I do like the HD radio in the stock unit too. So I guess I just talked my way out of spending $400 plus on a touchscreen. Thanks guys!

Just get a LOC like the LC6i, then you can still amp everything like the components and subs and what not and still keep everything factory.

this really isnt that hard...as i did this in a customers 2012 4 runner. the mic will have two wires a positive and shield for audio signal so you can cut the aftermarket mic connector off and solder the matching pins and plug it right in. You may need to step down the voltage tho as some factory mics have a stronger output than aftermarket mics. The usb is the same. There are 4 wires and a shield. Match thos up using a multimeter and solder appropriately and problem solved.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.