Rockford Fosgate 40 farad carbon cap...wow...

slick316
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Moore, OK
i saw this thing at my local shop today, wow is all i have to say. its about the size of a 12 disc cd changer, and here is the coolest part, it weighs like 3lbs!!! the shop had a 1 farad rockford cap on hand and it was heavier than the 40 farad. the cap also comes with some sort of discharge cable to drain the cap just in case you need to work on the car or something.

they ordered the cap for a customer who's getting a big install done. i think its overkill, but now they want me to get the 25 farad version, lol, right.

would a 40 farad cap drain your battery or something? i cant really see how its a good thing to have, but i dont know jack about car audio either.

btw, for anyone who wants one, its about $500.

Wow, Batcap 400 (capacitor capable of starting your car) - $189 shipped

A 1 farad cap has the same ability to discharge as any form of capasitance does.

Sounds like 3lbs of RF carbon BS to me

thats the cap.

it says "16 volt rating, 20 volt surge" what exactly does that mean? will it supply 16 volts constant to my amps? if thats the case, that sounds cool to me.

Nope, that means it is capable of handling a 16 volt power suply. You are going to get out of it what you put in (pretty sure). I am seriously thinking about getting the Batcap 800 (dry cell battery) and the Batcap 35 (35 farad cap) -- if I can;t sell my set up. Reason being -- I have a Jetta and no aftermarked H/O alts are available. I have 2 L7's and an MTX 1501D amp -- I can't think of any other way to power it. MTX customer service said a yellow top is all I need, but I don't fancy frying my alt and having to pay towing, new alt, and service costs. Oh -- the 2 batcaps, screw on terminal connectors and 2 160 amp circuit breakers comes to $525 with shipping.

sorry to be such a newb, but what the heck is a batcap? from the name, it sounds like a battery/cap in one? i dont get it. i have an optima yellow top, seems to work fine, would i have use for a batcap?

You are right, the model # determines what ratio battery and capacitor it is, and unless you are having dimming problems, I wouldn't worry about electrical(except big 3) just yet.

Nope' date=' that means it is capable of handling a 16 volt power suply. You are going to get out of it what you put in (pretty sure). I am seriously thinking about getting the Batcap 800 (dry cell battery) and the Batcap 35 (35 farad cap) -- if I can;t sell my set up. Reason being -- I have a Jetta and no aftermarked H/O alts are available. I have 2 L7's and an MTX 1501D amp -- I can't think of any other way to power it. MTX customer service said a yellow top is all I need, but I don't fancy frying my alt and having to pay towing, new alt, and service costs. Oh -- the 2 batcaps, screw on terminal connectors and 2 160 amp circuit breakers comes to $525 with shipping.[/quote']
You'll fry your alternator faster with more pieces in the charging system (i.e. Caps of any sort or capacitance). That's not the solution you want.

My friend has 2 of these 40 farad carbon caps from RF. He got them for free lol. He got alot of stuff from RF for free. But there very nice. 2 300amp alts, and 2 these RF Caps.... with nearly 5kw daily no dimming what so ever.

My friend has 2 of these 40 farad carbon caps from RF. He got them for free lol. He got alot of stuff from RF for free. But there very nice. 2 300amp alts, and 2 these RF Caps.... with nearly 5kw daily no dimming what so ever.
I would attribute that to the fact that your friend has a hypothetical 600 amps max from his alternators while he only has 416 amp draw at 12v and 5000w. Thats almost 200amps to spare, what alot of really high output alternators put out... so I don't think it is those 40 farad caps so much as it would be an extremly stout electrical system.

I would attribute that to the fact that your friend has a hypothetical 600 amps max from his alternators while he only has 416 amp draw at 12v and 5000w. Thats almost 200amps to spare, what alot of really high output alternators put out... so I don't think it is those 40 farad caps so much as it would be an extremly stout electrical system.
Agreed.

Yeah that guys set-up is insane. 2 MT 18's, 4 bd1500's, oh man.

I think I read somewhere that a cap can only be charged up to equal amount with its power supply, so any cap bigger than that is not needed?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.