Rockford Fosgate or Alpine

Zeditious

TN
I am shopping for some subwoofers that are affordable but put out loud bass. I only have my head unit changed at this time so I would need an amp, box, and subwoofers. I am looking into having a dual 12" setup. As of right now the subwoofers I am looking at are the Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R 12" and the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3. Any advice on choosing one over the other and what type of enclosure to use.

I had the type R's and one of my friends had the P3's. I now have the motors from the P3's.

The magnet structure is beefier on the Type R's. Out of the two, the Alpine Type R would be the better choice.

Depending on your space, power, and budget, also look into Sundown E and SA series.

If you have the space, try a ported enclosure. What vehicle is it?

If you are not going to build the box yourself, get a sealed box. Cheap ported "prefab" boxes are garbage. If you don't want to build it yourself, but want a good box and are willing to pay, there are several people who build and ship high quality ported boxes that are designed around the subwoofer's parameters.

I have a 2008 Silverado EXT cab and since I'm the only one that rides in my vehicle, I do not have a problem with putting the subs in the rear seat.

Also, if I am running a 1200-2000W amp, will my stock alternator (rated at 145A) be sufficient?

If you set it up clean it will be fine. I have 2400 on a stock 150 amp but it's tuned with a bit of headroom. Stays over 14v at idle. If it drops back it off. You won't lose much output.

If you set it up clean it will be fine. I have 2400 on a stock 150 amp but it's tuned with a bit of headroom. Stays over 14v at idle. If it drops back it off. You won't lose much output.
Alright, thanks. Most irritating thing my vehicle does is back the alternator down to 12.5V to keep heat low during the summer. As for subwoofer choice what do you recommend?

I had the type R's and one of my friends had the P3's. I now have the motors from the P3's.
The magnet structure is beefier on the Type R's. Out of the two, the Alpine Type R would be the better choice.

Depending on your space, power, and budget, also look into Sundown E and SA series.

If you have the space, try a ported enclosure. What vehicle is it?

If you are not going to build the box yourself, get a sealed box. Cheap ported "prefab" boxes are garbage. If you don't want to build it yourself, but want a good box and are willing to pay, there are several people who build and ship high quality ported boxes that are designed around the subwoofer's parameters.
As of right now, I am interested in a ported box.

Neither of those. Hundreds of better options out there.
Alright, well name a few I should look into. I was going to start with a simpler system but why not have something powerful. Also, whats kind of music do you like listening to on your system?

Alright, well name a few I should look into. I was going to start with a simpler system but why not have something powerful. Also, whats kind of music do you like listening to on your system?
every kind. rap to metal to blues to EDm, our subs play it all and play it very loud with a properly designed box which is the key component. Whatever pre-made box you can buy from online retailers, they are all complete garbage for getting loud and sounding good.

If you can give up your back seats, do two 18s or two 15s

every kind. rap to metal to blues to EDm, our subs play it all and play it very loud with a properly designed box which is the key component. Whatever pre-made box you can buy from online retailers, they are all complete garbage for getting loud and sounding good.
If you can give up your back seats, do two 18s or two 15s
I could do two 15's. I have a feeling if I had two 18's I'd need to upgrade my alternator.

I could do two 15's. I have a feeling if I had two 18's I'd need to upgrade my alternator.
No, you dont need to upgrade the alt with two 18s. They dont magically draw more power than 15s.... They just get louder a lot easier than 15s. On less power the 18s would still be louder than 15s If both are in a properly designed box

No, you dont need to upgrade the alt with two 18s. They dont magically draw more power than 15s.... They just get louder a lot easier than 15s. On less power the 18s would still be louder than 15s If bother are in a properly designed box
Interesting, well what 18s do you recommend and who do you recommend getting a custom box from?

Interesting, well what 18s do you recommend and who do you recommend getting a custom box from?
building it yourself would be the best option, Get a design and cutout sheet. Go to home depot, have them cut the wood. Take it home glue and screw. Get a cheap jigsaw to cut the holes to mount the subwoofers and viola, its done. A box for two 18s would cost about 110 ish in materials however if you have someone else build it, they might charge you 300-500 bucks.

if you want the pure sound quality route, look for dayton audio HO 18

If you want the loud but still very good sounding route, go with soundqubed hdc3 18 or sundown SA 18 if you have less power. Dont be scared of the HDC3 18's 1500 rms rating, they still got loud off a 600 watt amp.

building it yourself would be the best option, Get a design and cutout sheet. Go to home depot, have them cut the wood. Take it home glue and screw. Get a cheap jigsaw to cut the holes to mount the subwoofers and viola, its done. A box for two 18s would cost about 110 ish in materials however if you have someone else build it, they might charge you 300-500 bucks.
if you want the pure sound quality route, look for dayton audio HO 18

If you want the loud but still very good sounding route, go with soundqubed hdc3 18 or sundown SA 18 if you have less power. Dont be scared of the HDC3 18's 1500 rms rating, they still got loud off a 600 watt amp.
Interesting, I'll have to look into it

I think I will go the 15" route, to me it seems like it is a little bit more manageable. As far as 15" subs you would go with what?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.